1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Weis is An ASS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is it? I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was a fanzine.

But would the SB Tribune tolerate getting their credentials revoked? In that market, I'm not so sure.

I'm familiar with Jeff Carroll, he's respected. But again, it really depends on where your boss and publisher stand. If they don't have your back, you're pretty much screwed if you value your job.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yes, it is. You can get to the ISR off the South Bend Times web site.

On game day, the two combine forces.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I can't imagine how hard it is to cover that program.

Then again, maybe it's easy. You can't get anything, but neither can anyone else.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

doing some further research found this gem on blog - The Rock"

http://therockreport.blogspot.com/

In other news Mickey Mouse and Goofy, otherwhise known as Carroll and Weineke, or however you spell their names, apparently threw a hissy fit after learning they'd been frozen out for talking to Paddy Mullen in their hatchet "series" on Clausen and Weis. Weis has a strict rule about talking to players without permission, which he reiterated for the hard of hearing or the hard of ethics, "Please follow the protocol. Don't try to go behind the scenes to try to get to any of the guys."

I would have thrown them out for malicious intent and abuse of reporter privilege... but that's just me. In any case.... good riddance. These two will now be looking for any trash they can throw on ND, but at least ND isn't giving the Foxes the keys to the Hen house. Let them scrounge around in the barn yard for their cow chips.

Just to keep them in line, whenever one of these hacks writes an article on Notre Dame, we'll evaluate it here piece by piece pointing out the journalistic, ethical and factual faults with their articles and link that on the page so that any patterns will be noticeable (and you won't have to click on their articles and give them more "eyeballs.") I'll call it the Hack of Fame and use the same ethos the writers used in their "articles," I'm going to focus only on the negatives. Certainly gives me a column every week.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good Lord. That makes me want to change my religion. Anyone have a good alternate to Catholicism? Drinking needs to be required.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The levels some fanboys will go to sometimes really amazes me.

We can write a factual, objective, balanced story pointing out something(s) their program has done wrong, and it's our fault. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Is there nothing that can be done? Is Notre Dame this untouchable?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Druid.

Everyone loves a Druish princess...

[​IMG]

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

As a good catholic boy, I delight in my hatred of Notre Dame. I almost started to soften a bit on that, giving Weis the benefit of the doubt after he got there from New England, but a 2-9 season is too good for his sorry ass at this point.

9. Just as an aside - the Fighting Irish are the favorites to win the BCS this year according to the betting line.

Here are the favorites to win college football's championship this season.

Notre Dame 4/1
    Ohio State 11/2
    Oklahoma 6/1
    West Virginia 7/1
    Texas 8/1
    USC 8/1
    Florida 11/1
    Auburn 15/1
    Louisville 15/1
    Florida State 18/1
    Miami 18/1
    California 20/1
    LSU 20/1
    Michigan 20/1

That doesn't mean that ND is the best team - it just means that ND has the most money bet on them (which thus drives down the odds).

The reason the NFL has the injury report is purely for betting purposes. If Weis limits player access and tries to hide player injuries - then there are going to be a lot of disgruntled bettors. Who better to find the straight scoop for the bettors than the local SB guys? It would probably work well for the two writers if they figured out a way to harness the need for the betting public to know what really is going on at ND. Maybe they could do an article on how much the local community lost betting on ND's bowl game loss to Ohio State? Then they could bring up how Weis is trying to keep things from the (betting) public by controling access - that might generate some public reaction to Weis' info control issues.

Just an aside like I said.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, Notre Dame is the only college whose fight song expressly mentions betting odds in the lyrics.

11. I did not know that

It can be argued that those aren't betting odds but what use are odds otherwise?

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Of course, Charlie Weis is hardly the first to be draconian when it comes to media access for assistant coaches, players and himself. The question is, are there other ways to get information? Rather than just bang your head against the wall, it might be time to get sources from outside the program to tell you the juicy (but verifiable) things you'll never get from Herr Weis. I'm speaking as someone who used to cover Bob Knight.

By the way, that column's reflection of Weis as being disliked by many inside Notre Dame is spot-on, at least given what people I know at Notre Dame tell me. Weis doesn't talk to anyone at the school, either, a huge flaw for an institution with as much self-love as Notre Dame. He'd better win, because if the program takes a fall, suddenly the wolves will emerge.

Draft saved Draft deleted