Author Topic: Charlie Weis is An ASS  (Read 28021 times)

Offline Boom_70

Charlie Weis is An ASS
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:16:28 AM »
Sports Center kept showing Weis press conference yesterday - He come across as a real arrogant ass hole.  He is Bill Parcells without a body of work.  If I was not such a huge ND fan I would want him to fall flat on his face.

Offline Boom_70

Re: Charlie Weis is An ASS
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 07:03:23 AM »
Guess what they were showing was mediia day presser.

Came across this interesting story in doing a google - its seems that ND is sensoring reporters for asking provocative questions .

What BS.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/08/07/columnists/al_hamnik/21c825f02460da90862571c30004e3cf.txt

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 07:07:51 AM »
Friend of mine was up for the football SID job there. I told him to be VERY careful what he wished for, because he just might get it!
Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade.Ē - Vernon Law

www.si.com

Offline Bubbler

• Last Of The Independents
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:15:07 AM »
What a dick.
The cerebral musicality of jazz mixed with the visceral groove of funk.

You came here with a mouse in a bottle and now you're the mouse.

You're wrong my Bubby. I don't know ass. My degree is in journalism with a minor in hard knocks, not assology.

Offline Michael_ Gee

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:15:54 AM »
 ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†Life as a galley slave or owner of a Club Med in Beirut would be preferable to life as an SID/PR chief for any Bill Parcells' disciple. I say that as someone who's very fond of Charlie and Bill.
 ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†The devil's bargain Parcells offered reporters is that while he'd be the sole source of information, he'd present it in a way that'd fill up a notebook and create flashy soundbites. Is Charlie holding up his end of that deal?
 ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†Charlie may also not grasp that hometown papers are much more interested in how High School Harry does at college than what happens when HSH gets to the pros.

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 07:23:45 AM »
Think ESPN or NBC are included in those 20 minutes?

Offline Bubbler

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 07:26:59 AM »
Notre Dame is just as culpable, actually more so, than Weis is.

They're the fucktards that are letting him get away with it.

You're wrong my Bubby. I don't know ass. My degree is in journalism with a minor in hard knocks, not assology.

Offline 21

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 07:42:22 AM »
From the NW Times  story linked above:

It didn't take Charlie long to flex some muscle. Former Times Sports Writer Jeff Carroll, now working for the Irish Sports Report, was informed by school officials that he could not ask questions of Weis, his staff or players during the three-hour session. It seems Weis and senior associate athletics director John Heisler weren't happy with some of Carroll's reporting endeavors.

If you're the writer here....don't you just show up and ask ten million questions?  What are they going to do, zap him with a taser if he asks questions? Who's going to look like the idiot, Jeff Carroll, or the player or coach who fidgets nervously trying to pretend no one has just asked a question?

Offline Bubbler

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 07:44:08 AM »

It didn't take Charlie long to flex some muscle. Former Times Sports Writer Jeff Carroll, now working for the Irish Sports Report, was informed by school officials that he could not ask questions of Weis, his staff or players during the three-hour session. It seems Weis and senior associate athletics director John Heisler weren't happy with some of Carroll's reporting endeavors.

If you're the writer here....don't you just show up and ask ten million questions?  What are they going to do, zap him with a taser if he asks questions? Who's going to look like the idiot, Jeff Carroll, or the player or coach who fidgets nervously trying to pretend no one has just asked a question?

I'm thinking if you're working for the Irish Sports Report, that might not be the best plan of action.

But if you're working for the local daily it might ... but you better make sure the boss and publisher have your back if Notre Dame cracks back.

Offline Cousin Jeffrey

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 07:46:53 AM »
Isn't the ISR the local daily, the South Bend Times, anyway? Just presented seperately for more revenue, etc.

Offline 21

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 07:49:31 AM »

I'm thinking if you're working for the Irish Sports Report, that might not be the best plan of action.

But if you're working for the local daily it might ... but you better make sure the boss and publisher have your back if Notre Dame cracks back.

So if you work for the Irish Sports Report--and I admit I'm not really familiar with it--what's your move here? Per the NW Times story, the writer isn't a novice, he's a experienced reporter known to the ND staff.

Ben Bernanke

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 07:51:50 AM »
ND is "sensoring" sportswriters?  They're putting microchips in our butts?  This is serious.

Offline Bubbler

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 07:54:01 AM »
Isn't the ISR the local daily, the South Bend Times, anyway? Just presented seperately for more revenue, etc.

Is it? I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was a fanzine.

But would the SB Tribune tolerate getting their credentials revoked? In that market, I'm not so sure.

So if you work for the Irish Sports Report--and I admit I'm not really familiar with it--what's your move here? Per the NW Times story, the writer isn't a novice, he's a experienced reporter known to the ND staff.

I'm familiar with Jeff Carroll, he's respected. But again, it really depends on where your boss and publisher stand. If they don't have your back, you're pretty much screwed if you value your job.

Offline Hank_Scorpio

• Mocassins rule!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 07:56:22 AM »

Yes, it is. You can get to the ISR off the South Bend Times web site.

On game day, the two combine forces.
If you wanna kill someone on your way out, it would help a lot.

Offline Hammer Pants

• This is NOT awesome!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 08:13:49 AM »
I can't imagine how hard it is to cover that program.

Then again, maybe it's easy. You can't get anything, but neither can anyone else.
"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is I'm not. I honestly just feel that America's the best country and all the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism."
-Kenny Powers

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless."
-Also Kenny Powers

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 08:38:59 AM »
doing some further research found this gem on blog - The Rock"

http://therockreport.blogspot.com/

In other news Mickey Mouse and Goofy, otherwhise known as Carroll and Weineke, or however you spell their names, apparently threw a hissy fit after learning they'd been frozen out for talking to Paddy Mullen in their hatchet "series" on Clausen and Weis. Weis has a strict rule about talking to players without permission, which he reiterated for the hard of hearing or the hard of ethics, "Please follow the protocol. Don't try to go behind the scenes to try to get to any of the guys."

I would have thrown them out for malicious intent and abuse of reporter privilege... but that's just me. In any case.... good riddance. These two will now be looking for any trash they can throw on ND, but at least ND isn't giving the Foxes the keys to the Hen house. Let them scrounge around in the barn yard for their cow chips.

Just to keep them in line, whenever one of these hacks writes an article on Notre Dame, we'll evaluate it here piece by piece pointing out the journalistic, ethical and factual faults with their articles and link that on the page so that any patterns will be noticeable (and you won't have to click on their articles and give them more "eyeballs.") I'll call it the Hack of Fame and use the same ethos the writers used in their "articles," I'm going to focus only on the negatives. Certainly gives me a column every week.

Offline Bubbler

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 08:41:56 AM »

In other news Mickey Mouse and Goofy, otherwhise known as Carroll and Weineke, or however you spell their names, apparently threw a hissy fit after learning they'd been frozen out for talking to Paddy Mullen in their hatchet "series" on Clausen and Weis. Weis has a strict rule about talking to players without permission, which he reiterated for the hard of hearing or the hard of ethics, "Please follow the protocol. Don't try to go behind the scenes to try to get to any of the guys."

I would have thrown them out for malicious intent and abuse of reporter privilege... but that's just me. In any case.... good riddance. These two will now be looking for any trash they can throw on ND, but at least ND isn't giving the Foxes the keys to the Hen house. Let them scrounge around in the barn yard for their cow chips.

Just to keep them in line, whenever one of these hacks writes an article on Notre Dame, we'll evaluate it here piece by piece pointing out the journalistic, ethical and factual faults with their articles and link that on the page so that any patterns will be noticeable (and you won't have to click on their articles and give them more "eyeballs.") I'll call it the Hack of Fame and use the same ethos the writers used in their "articles," I'm going to focus only on the negatives. Certainly gives me a column every week.

Good Lord. That makes me want to change my religion. Anyone have a good alternate to Catholicism? Drinking needs to be required.

Offline Hammer Pants

• This is NOT awesome!
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 08:48:33 AM »
The levels some fanboys will go to sometimes really amazes me.

We can write a factual, objective, balanced story pointing out something(s) their program has done wrong, and it's our fault. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Is there nothing that can be done? Is Notre Dame this untouchable?
"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is I'm not. I honestly just feel that America's the best country and all the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism."
-Kenny Powers

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless."
-Also Kenny Powers

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 08:52:28 AM »

Good Lord. That makes me want to change my religion. Anyone have a good alternate to Catholicism? Drinking needs to be required.
Druid.

Everyone loves a Druish princess...

Offline Flying Headbutt

• Sports and News
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 08:59:21 AM »
As a good catholic boy, I delight in my hatred of Notre Dame.  I almost started to soften a bit on that, giving Weis the benefit of the doubt after he got there from New England, but a 2-9 season is too good for his sorry ass at this point.

Offline Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L)

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 09:13:53 AM »
Just as an aside - the Fighting Irish are the favorites to win the BCS this year according to the betting line.

Here are the favorites to win college football's championship this season.

Notre Dame 4/1
Ohio State 11/2
Oklahoma 6/1
West Virginia 7/1
Texas 8/1
USC 8/1
Florida 11/1
Auburn 15/1
Louisville 15/1
Florida State 18/1
Miami 18/1
California 20/1
LSU 20/1
Michigan 20/1

That doesn't mean that ND is the best team - it just means that ND has the most money bet on them (which thus drives down the odds).

The reason the NFL has the injury report is purely for betting purposes. If Weis limits player access and tries to hide player injuries - then there are going to be a lot of disgruntled bettors. Who better to find the straight scoop for the bettors than the local SB guys? It would probably work well for the two writers if they figured out a way to harness the need for the betting public to know what really is going on at ND. Maybe they could do an article on how much the local community lost betting on ND's bowl game loss to Ohio State? Then they could bring up how Weis is trying to keep things from the (betting) public by controling access - that might generate some public reaction to Weis' info control issues.

Just an aside like I said.
http://large-regular.blogspot.com

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

"No fear. No envy. No meanness." --Liam Clancy to Bob Dylan

Offline Starman

• "There's a Starman waiting in the sky."
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 09:41:08 AM »
Just as an aside - the Fighting Irish are the favorites to win the BCS this year according to the betting line.

Here are the favorites to win college football's championship this season.

Notre Dame 4/1
Ohio State 11/2
Oklahoma 6/1
West Virginia 7/1
Texas 8/1
USC 8/1
Florida 11/1
Auburn 15/1
Louisville 15/1
Florida State 18/1
Miami 18/1
California 20/1
LSU 20/1
Michigan 20/1

That doesn't mean that ND is the best team - it just means that ND has the most money bet on them (which thus drives down the odds).

The reason the NFL has the injury report is purely for betting purposes. If Weis limits player access and tries to hide player injuries - then there are going to be a lot of disgruntled bettors. Who better to find the straight scoop for the bettors than the local SB guys? It would probably work well for the two writers if they figured out a way to harness the need for the betting public to know what really is going on at ND. Maybe they could do an article on how much the local community lost betting on ND's bowl game loss to Ohio State? Then they could bring up how Weis is trying to keep things from the (betting) public by controling access - that might generate some public reaction to Weis' info control issues.

Just an aside like I said.

Interestingly enough, Notre Dame is the only college whose fight song expressly mentions betting odds in the lyrics.
"What is the difference between genius and stupidity? Genius has limits." (Albert Einstein)

Offline Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L)

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 09:44:25 AM »
I did not know that

Rally sons of Notre Dame,
Sing her glory, and sound her fame
Raise her Gold and Blue,
And cheer with voices true,
Rah! Rah! For Notre Dame.

We will fight in every game
Strong of heart and true to her name.
We will ne'er forget her
And we'll cheer her ever,
Loyal to Notre Dame.

Chorus:
Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame
Wake up the echoes cheering her name,
Send the volley cheer on high,
Shake down the thunder from the sky,
What though the odds be great or small
Old Notre Dame will win over all
While her loyal sons are marching
Onward to Victory.

It can be argued that those aren't betting odds but what use are odds otherwise?
http://large-regular.blogspot.com

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

"No fear. No envy. No meanness." --Liam Clancy to Bob Dylan

Offline Bob Cook

• I love SportsJournalists.com!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 09:47:08 AM »
Of course, Charlie Weis is hardly the first to be draconian when it comes to media access for assistant coaches, players and himself. The question is, are there other ways to get information? Rather than just bang your head against the wall, it might be time to get sources from outside the program to tell you the juicy (but verifiable) things you'll never get from Herr Weis. I'm speaking as someone who used to cover Bob Knight.

By the way, that column's reflection of Weis as being disliked by many inside Notre Dame is spot-on, at least given what people I know at Notre Dame tell me. Weis doesn't talk to anyone at the school, either, a huge flaw for an institution with as much self-love as Notre Dame. He'd better win, because if the program takes a fall, suddenly the wolves will emerge.
"You, sir, are an example of what's wrong with this country and this profession and quite frankly are the worst example of a human being I have ever encountered. You have no soul." -- DeskMonkey1, to me

Offline Freelance Hack

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 09:48:22 AM »
That's an extremely bush league move to make by Weis and his lackeys. Hopefully Jeff Carroll will get help from his paper and his peers.
"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter." -- Howard Beale