1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

The Dan Akroyd/John Belushi revenge fantasy song aside (although it is a great song), I didn't find his first three albums all that gimmicky. I just think he hid behind making up stories, which is generally not how most folk singer-songwriter types of his ilk operate. The song Sterling, for example, is hardly gimmicky. Pope Killdragon is a much better album than Dark Shores, and Leave Ruin was pretty straight-forward folk rock.

I can't wait for the Spoon album to be released. I haven't listened to the iTunes stream yet since I can't download it at the office, and my home laptop is out of commission right now.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Kanye is the Dale Earnhardt Jr. of popular music.

3. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Agreed. I can understand no Radiohead, as that has been done to death (even as a fanboi I can admit this). But Funeral was a pretty damn important album. I think on some level it set the blueprint for "indie rock" for the better part of that decade; it was okay to be bombastic and emotional. I also thought one of the TV on the Radio albums should have been included (Return to Cookie Mountain and Dear Science were both stellar and pretty much unlike anything released those years). I had more personal gripes (Wilco, Modest Mouse), but those were my most notable objective omissions.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Summerteeth was release in the 1990s.

5. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

But of course you know I was talking about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I can't pick a favorite between YHF and Summerteeth, but I do think that YHF deserved to be on that list, especially for people who only know Wilco from their last few albums. The distance between YHF and an album like Sky Blue Sky or Wilco is pretty stark.

I also think I'm in the minority of people that loves A Ghost is Born; I wouldn't put it on that list, but it's also damn good.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Personal list:

1. Jay-Z, The Blueprint (2001)
    2. Arcade Fire, Funeral (2004)
    3. Daft Punk, Random Access Memories (2013)
    4. Jay-Z, The Black Album (2003)
    5. M.I.A., Kala (2007)
    6. Frank Ocean, Channel Orange (2012)
    7. D'Angelo, Voodoo (2000)
    8. Kanye West, Late Registration (2005)
    9. Radiohead, Kid A (2000)
    10. Modest Mouse, The Moon & Antarctica (2000)
    11. Daft Punk, Discovery (2001)
    12. Broken Social Scene, You Forgot It in People (2002)
    13. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver (2007)
    14. Ghostface Killah, Supreme Clientele (2000)
    15. Clipse, Hell Hath No Fury (2006)
    16. M.I.A., Arular (2005)
    17. Kanye West, Yeezus (2013)
    18. The Weeknd, House of Balloons (2011)
    19. OutKast, Stankonia (2000)
    20. Fiona Apple, The Idler Wheel ... (2012)

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

AGIB is Wilco's best album, IMO.

On a related note, heard "Tweedy" do a song on a late night show recently and it was decidedly dull.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Albums that, off the top of my head, would very likely be on mine:

The Black Album - Jay-Z
    The Blueprint - Jay-Z
    Late Registration - Kanye (College Dropout and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy would definitely get some consideration)
    good kid, m.A.A.d. city - Kendrick Lamar
    Funeral - Arcade Fire
    '59 Sound - The Gaslight Anthem
    Soviet Kitsch - Regina Spektor
    Begin to Hope - Regina Spektor
    Stankonia - Outkast
    The Electric Lady - Janelle Monae
    Lungs - Florence + the Machine
    Blunderbuss - Jack White (especially if I get to include Love is Blindness, which I believe was on some of the foreign versions)
    The Crane Wife - The Decemberists (with Picaresque getting lots of consideration as well)

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Apparently St. Vincent had a lengthy performance on The Late Show.

10. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Crap, I forgot all about the Decemberists. Good call and tough to choose between the two, but I might give the edge to Picaresque for Eli, the Barrow Boy.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't get the Picaresque-over-The Crane Wife argument except that it came first.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I don't think it's crazy as a personal preference, but when trying to be objective, the ambition of The Crane Wife combined with how well it was pulled off puts it ahead.

I will say, though, that The Mariner's Revenge Song might be my favorite song as short story from them, which is a tough competition.

Draft saved Draft deleted