1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Finished this over the weekend. A really harrowing tale of an English writer traveling through the Sierra Madre, a pretty much lawless part of Northern Mexico. He makes it out alive, obviously, but without some close calls and the help of a bunch of locals. Joe Bob says check it out.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Kicking and Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul and Rock n Roll" by Ann and Nancy Wilson

Entertaining read if you're a Heart fan. The Wilson sisters interviewed quite a few of their fellow musicians, family and friends and include their quotes in the book ... including their former boyfriends, the Fisher brothers.

Time — and Rock n Roll HOF induction — heals all wounds, I guess.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog.
    This is one of those books that makes you envious you didn't write it.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly read that book.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

Well, I have lived a situation like that, with a rescue dog.
    I am surprised it took so long for somebody to write a bestseller about the love of a pet.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

[​IMG]
    Fun read.
    Endlessly charming.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

One of the year's best books (literary fiction category) is just $1.99 on Kindle today.

Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson.

http://www.amazon.com/Fourth-July-Creek-Smith-Henderson-ebook/dp/B00FJ37BWI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413563564&sr=1-1&keywords=fourth+of+july+creek

Dark and heartbreaking at times, but really good.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks to a recommendation by Care Bear, I just read "Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith. Loved it, especially the character of private detective Cormoran Strike. Didn't realize until I'd finished that Robert Galbraith is J. K. Rowling. Really good stuff.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If anyone likes mystery/horror, try "The Troop" by Nick Cutter. Well done and suspenseful.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've been on a kick of reading old pulp and weird fiction for a year or more.

Now I am hooked on A. Merritt - 'The Moon Pool,' 'Burn, Witch, Burn' and 'Creep, Shadow, Creep.'

I just got two more of his novels. I just love this kind of stuff. The plots are so crazy, and the style is so specific.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

An A. Merritt sample:

"In this great crucible of life we call the world — in the vaster one we call the universe — the mysteries lie close packed, uncountable as grains of sand on ocean's shores. They thread, gigantic, the star-flung spaces; they creep, atomic, beneath the microscope's peering eye. They walk beside us, unseen and unheard, calling out to us, asking why we are deaf to their crying, blind to their wonder.

"Sometimes the veils drop from a man's eyes, and he sees — and speaks of his vision. Then those who have not seen pass him by with the lifted brows of disbelief, or they mock him, or if his vision has been great enough they fall upon and destroy him."

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Groovy.

Just started "Empire of Sin." Gonna finish it pretty fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted