1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What schools did you reject, or who rejected you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This guy will tell you all about what you missed. Look how excited he is!

[​IMG]

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nah, you're just pissed that they aren't paying you overtime. :D

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Got into: Colorado, Missouri, Northwestern, Penn, Cornell, Oregon, Washington, Boston College

Did not get into: UCLA, Harvard, Michigan

4. RecoveringJournalist

Similar situation. I was super close to going to Penn and playing football. Something didn't feel right and I didn't do it.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What was wrong with how I used it? Myriad means "countless or of extremely great number." I also understand the meaning of hyperbole and how to use it to convey a point.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps if it truly was a "myriad" of reasons, then the choice shouldn't have been "very tough." :D

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I got into the ones I wanted save one- a private Jesuit university.
    And by that time I had had it with the Jesuits, frankly.
    My grades sucked the final year and a half of high school.
    I was well past the point of bored with it, didn't care and still don't care what they were.

8. Spartan Squad

Fair point. I'll amend it to say I had several good reasons to choose Boulder and a few nonacademic reasons (and one academic reason) to stay in California and ultimately choose to not go out of state. Can't say I regret it.

(The academic reason was I couldn't get a bachelors in journalism from Boulder. I would have to stick around for a master's and I wasn't sure if I wanted six years of school at that point. I mildly regret not going for a masters right now because it might be my ticket out of newspapers, but San Jose State was a good choice for me.)

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I applied early to Penn and got in. That was a million years ago. I don't know if I could even get into college nowadays.

10. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Got into: UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, Washington, Wisconsin (where I went)

Rejected: UCLA, UCSD, UC Berkeley

Applications looked at/considered/never handed in: Minnesota, Oregon, Texas

11. RecoveringJournalist

Did you just get out of college? Because I know CU had a bachelor's program up until a few years ago.

12. Spartan Squad

No, this was when I was applying back in 2001. It was my understanding that there was a program, but it was a feeder for the master's program where you actually got your journo degree. The bachelor's degree, IIRC, wasn't in journalism, it was something else that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted