1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Baseball HOF ballot released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd love for it to be Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz and Biggio (especially for backlog reasons) but I can't see the writers putting in four at one time.

Smoltz is going to suffer because Biggio isn't get held out again after falling two votes short.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think four will get in. Isn't Smoltz a favorite of the writers?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think Carlos Delgado is a hall of famer.

But regarding the whole steroid thing. ... I don't think Delgado was ever linked to PEDs, the way, say Gary Sheffield was. But I also don't think you can assume anyone from that era is clean, just because we read about evidence linking some guys but not others. Delgado played right in the sweet spot of the steroid era and he was a power hitter. That doesn't mean he used. But not being a part of BALCO or being named in the Mitchell Report, doesn't mean he didn't use. That is why making steroids a HOF criteria for that era is so difficult. If you do that, your criteria is really who got implicated, not who actually used.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Agreed. What is interesting about Delgado's numbers is that there is no huge spike in production the way there was in some of the guys who used. Of course, for all we know, he was using the whole time.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For me Smoltz is a no-brainer: 157 wins (WINS!) before the surgery. Comes back to save 154. Becomes a starter again and wins another 50.

3.33 ERA in 3,473 innings, 3,084 strikeouts.

Playoffs: 15-4, 2.67 in 209 innings.

The 14-time division champion Braves were 14-time division champion Braves because of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz. Maybe he has to wait a year but he's a no-brainer.

6. Della9250

The last time the writers put in four guys was 60 years ago. The don't even like to go to three -- last year was the first time since 1999 and only the third time since the mid 80s.

Smoltz might be a favorite but he's going to get dinged for a couple things as a first-timer. He will end up sliding in next to Griffey in 2016 because after Junior the next level for potential candidates is Hoffman, Edmonds and Wagner so Smoltz slots in well above them, making him an overwhelming second choice for voters with small ballots.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I forgot that Fisk didn't get in on the 1999 ballot.

8. Della9250

I also love that there were 27 first-time guys eligible to make it on and not only did they chop in down to 17 on a loaded ballot but Eddie Guardado was worth keeping.

I would have just kept the first-timers at Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, Carlos Delgado, Gary Sheffield, Nomar Garciaparra, Troy Percival and Brian Giles.

9. Della9250

History has shown that every Hall of Fame ballot has no fewer than seven eventual guys that make it. But the writers refuse to fill all their slots. Last year was an blip of their own devices by forcing Alomar to wait / not putting in anyone two years ago / steroid issues

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ballot arrived in today's mail. Ridiculous. I got to nine just with the no-brainers. Guys I will leave off will be most deserving candidates, like Sheffield, McGriff and Trammell. But whaddaya gonna do? The steroid police still atoning to themselves for missing that story are going to wind up screwing players who never came near PEDs by splitting all these votes.

11. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Johnson, Martinez and Biggio will be elected.

I'm guessing at least Sosa drops off the ballot with less than 5% this year. I'm also skeptical of Delgado or Garciaparra garnering 5% support in their first ballot. We'll have to watch the published ballots carefully to get a feel for the second-tier newcomers.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rainman, it was very interesting to see Ken Rosenthal and Tom Verducci on the MLB Network yesterday saying they voted for the max 10 candidates and that the backlog of worthy candidates has become a major problem for the Hall. Those two are the complete insiders, and it's possible they represent a sea change in attitude within the BBWAA electorate, as well as in MLB's attitude towards its museum. So there might be more than three elected this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted