1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor -- Cheyenne, Wyo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jayvee, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Jayvee

Jayvee New Member

From JournalismJobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/job-listings/1272242

Company: Wyoming Tribune-Eagle
    Position: Page Designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $30,000 to $35,000

Description:

A daily newspaper with an award-winning sports team and one of the top designs in America is accepting applications for a designer/copy editor. If you like designing pages with flair, we want to talk to you. Headline writing and copyediting are part of the position as well. This is a great entry-level opportunity or one for a more experienced person looking to make a move upward. The WTE, a seven-day a.m., Sunday circulation of 15,000, underwent a radical redesign in 2008 that was named one of the top 5 redesigns in the world by SND. The sports section also has won many state and national awards from Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE), including a sweep in 2013, placing in the top 10 nationally in daily, Sunday, special section and website. Cheyenne, Wyo., is located at the northern tip of the Colorado Front Range. Our growing city is close to some of the best hunting, fishing, hiking, camping and other outdoor activity areas in the nation. We’re also only about a 90-minute drive from Denver and 45 minutes from Fort Collins, Colo. Starting pay is based on education and experience. Send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Jeremiah Johnke, asst. WyoSports editor, Wyoming Tribune-Eagle, 702 W. Lincolnway, Cheyenne, WY 82001. Or submit materials via e-mail to jjohnke@wyosports.net.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The WTE also prints the Laramie Boomerang and their sports staffs are combined somewhat. It's not a writing position but they do a very nice job covering the Cowboys and local preps. Housing is cheap, there's no state income tax, the wind blows and it gets cold in the winter. Vedauwoo, Curt Gowdy State Park are great and the Snowies are about a 80 minutes away over the pass.

3. Is that clear enough for anyone who might consider applying? Based on applications received per a source, "copy editor" apparently doesn't mean what it used to. Lots of people seeking writing opportunities by applying for a desk job. Just thought I'd offer some clarity.

4. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Seems like a confusing title in a desolate venue. Culture shock worth it?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Thing is, there are a lot of hybrid jobs. I've had several jobs where I initially started as a copy editor, but did more and more writing as time progressed. Being able to do multiple things is a valuable asset.

6. It's only confusing for those who are easily confused.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

There are worse places to live and worse jobs to have. This is a pretty good paper for its size and they cover a lot. If it hasn't changed over the past 10 or 12 years then yes, this is a copy editing only position and there won't be a lot of opportunities, if any, to write unless a writer spot holds up. But in this day and age having a copy editor at all, especially a dedicated sports copy editor, should be something to be happy about. Shouldn't it?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd vouch for Cheyenne being a decent place. I was only there for a bit on a road trip out of Denver. But it's only about an hour and change from the Denver suburbs so it's not like a major city isn't nearby.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

. . . it's dead.

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Like yourself, jerk

11. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

This has been filled. I'm not sure either party has made it public yet so I'll withhold the name.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I took my current job knowing it wasn't a writing job .I had come from a bigger paper and all the copy desk folks got a byline once a blue moon I kidded myself into thinking I didn't care because I was desperate due to a layoff and unemployment not cutting it. I've been here since 2010 but it probably took less than a year for the reality that I had doomed myself to a career on the desk to crash down.

Draft saved Draft deleted