1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is RG3 done?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Griffin has been overrated from the start. He had one good college season. Maybe a decent pro prospect. Certainly not worth the assets Washington traded away to draft him. Face of the franchise? Face of the league? You gotta be kidding. He's Vince Young 2.0.

I hope he gets things together and, depending on what uniform he's wearing, has some success. But he's not a franchise QB.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't know about overrated. He was rookie of the year. He's fragile. He's had 2 torn ACLs on the same knee and a nasty ankle injury. He's not Kaepernic , Newton or Young large and he's not a pocket QB that can run like Rogers or Wilson. All he needed was a leg and arm to play college. He got by on that for most of his rookie year. But, sorry Bill Rhoden, running QBs are not successful no matter how exciting the game seems. Defenses are just too fast. Mobil QBs can be a success. Can Griffin become that kind of player? He seems disinclined to learn that position.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Troy Aikman.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and Brady was a sixth-round pick, and Rodgers was playing behind some other guy. Wish I could recall his name. Let me check MMQB. But just because Manziel isn't starting doesn't make him a bust. All those other rookies are playing because their teams have no other options. Weeden, er, Hoyer, on the other hand was one of the best stories in football before he got hurt last year, and he has the fucking Cleveland Browns at 7-4.

5. heyabbott

If RGIII and Manziel are busts, is Jadeveon clowny a bust?

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Maziel isn't a bust. Clowny isn't a bust. That's idiotic. They might be eventually. But not right now. (And I don't think Clowny will be ever)

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If I were an owner with a bad team I would acquire RGIII and then get a coach who knows how to run something similar to the Baylor offense. Then I would get a backup with some running ability who could also run the offense. What is the point of protecting RGIII's knee if he is ineffective and benched when he tries to be a stay in the pocket passer.

How much worse would that offense be than whatever Tampa Bay, Tennessee or a couple other teams will run? Philadelphia is scoring points with Sanchez as the QB running a similar scheme.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I still think that Philly offense, looking as good as it did yesterday with Sanchez at the controls, could look even better in 2015 with Griffin running it. Lot of ifs there. If Griffin can regain confidence. If he could be as healthy as he's going to be given his medical history. If Kelly would want him enough to move Foles.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm sure Chip Kelly wants a QB who can't do the simplest things right running his offense.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You mean, like Mike and Kyle Shanahan?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Griffin is done as THAT GUY. His knee is blown. He could only be THAT GUY with 2 healthy knees. It's over for him in that sense.

He can probably be serviceable somewhere if he matures and learns a few things. If not, he can always make Subway commercials.

12. heyabbott

Subway pulled his commercials.
    I don't think Griffin could be as successful today at Baylor as he was 4 years ago. He can't out run Big12 linemen anymore

Draft saved Draft deleted