1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vice on Lisa Saxon, one of the women who changed sportswriting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 17, 2014.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Try to see beyond the obvious, if you can. Had I not posted, I would never have read Frank's anecdote, which has always been the best thing about SportsJournalists.com. Thanks, Frank!

2. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Always think of this when Vassar is mentioned.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8303172/lisa_vassar_bashing/

3. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

I can verify that George Hendrick is tremendous. He even let me interview him for an upcoming book, and he detailed his dislike of Reggie Jackson. (And of course all the Hall of Fame guys can't stand Jackson, either.)

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That is great to hear.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the story. Thanks for the link, DD.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Reggie was one of the great phonies of all time. A few teammates liked him, most rolled their eyes at his non-stop bullshit and a few hated him.

Hendrick was OK. He just didn't want to be bothered and at least he was consistent with his no-interview policy. Carlton was, too. You understood they wouldn't talk and planned accordingly. The ones who drove you crazy were the ones who ran hot and cold.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A part of me feels this way about Marshawn Lynch. He doesn't seem to hate the media, just doesn't really like to talk to the media. I kind of feel like that stance is often made into a bigger deal than it should be. You don't want to talk? Fuck it, don't talk. Your participation is not necessary in this story. If the NFL wants him to talk, that's another deal entirely.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Great Reggie story that was before my time but passed down among baseball writers:

He hits two HR on Mother's Day. The writers all gather 'round his locker, and he starts in with some sob story about dedicating the game to his mom. Then he stops, looks up, surveys the crowd around him and says, "Is AP here?"

Draft saved Draft deleted