1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I just noticed that Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon needs 719 yards to break Barry Sanders' Division I rushing record of 2,628 in a single season. He's at 1,909 for the season right now.

If Wisconsin wins out, they would play in the Big Ten Championship game and a bowl game, giving Gordon potentially four more games. Now I don't expect him to rush for 408 yards in any one game like he did last week against Nebraska, but 719 over four games is not outside of the realm of possibility. Gotta be a legitimate Heisman candidate.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. Barry Sanders set his record of 2,628 yards in 11 games. Gordon might play 14.

2. Sanders also ran for 222 yards in the Holiday Bowl, but bowl stats weren't counted in official statistics until 2002. For whatever reason, the NCAA has refused to apply them retroactively. But Sanders actually ran for 2,850 yards that year. It happened.

So Gordon needs to get 2,851 yards or GTFO. He'd need to average 235.5 yards per game to get there.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So I'm thinking about GameDay at Harvard, and I'm stumped. What would Corso put on his head if he picks Harvard? Crimson is a color, not a mascot.

4. Steak Snabler

They've got a mascot:

[​IMG]

And anyway, there are a couple of schools (Auburn is one, I forget the other) that won't let Corso use their mascot head. So in those instances he puts on a helmet.

5. Michael_ Gee

That's John Harvard, I guess.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Rescheduled for 1 p.m. Friday.
    Kent-Akron game, scheduled for Nov. 25 at 7 p.m., rescheduled for Nov. 28 at 1 p.m.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have a bet on it at -26, but I still cant wrap my mind around Baylor giving Okie Light that many points.

8. Michael_ Gee

I think I will forgive ESPN a month's worth of its sins if the GameDay on-air crew shows up this morning wearing raccoon coats and straw boaters. George Kimball and I tried to find raccoon coats for The Game one year in the '80s, but we couldn't rent them.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? Baylor line just jumped to 30.5

I bet they end up betting this thing to death now, just to get it off the boards.......

10. Steak Snabler

It's supposed to rain like hell in that part of the country on Saturday night, so maybe that has something to do with it.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think Corso's lips are frozen.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If that's the case, wouldn't the number go the other way?

Draft saved Draft deleted