1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

this Child Support shit is mainly against us...

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Rick, what do you think was behind "witnesses" who came forward to lie about what happened?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The witness with the mental disorder, and who has trouble distinguishing the truth from things she had read online, at least admitted to having racist views.

Why couldn't Wilson at least admit the same? It's not like a racist white cop couldn't be put in a position where he had to use deadly force against an unarmed African-American teenager?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Pretty sure if you say an 18-year-old is a super demon who can fatally punch you and run through bullets, you've admitted to racist views, intentionally or no.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/11/darren_wilson_s_racial_portrayal_of_michael_brown_as_a_superhuman_demon.html

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This witness No. 40 journal entry entered into evidence is pretty goofy.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Completely unsurprising. Eyewitnesses are shit in all directions, and especially in a situation like this.

But when I see two sides lying and trying to obstruct a real investigation, and one side is random citizens and the other side is local government, I'm not equally bothered by both.

7. Mr. Sunshine

That's not an answer.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Oh, sorry. Re-read the question, I get it now.

A combination of lingering frustration with the authorities and desire to be part of the news.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Yeah, that's it.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ok, spent the AM reading some of the testimony and the wapo timeline. The whole thing is senseless.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That nicely extrapolates on a point Rick has been making throughout this thread.

And I'd point out the implicit racism is not only present in how Wilson describes Brown, but in how the public bought the description. I swear some of the descriptions of Brown's "intimidating" size I've heard one would think he was built like Ray Lewis, with 290 lbs of chiseled muscle. No, in reality, it was more like 290 lbs of harmless lard. In truth, he was just a fat kid.

If it had been a just a fat white kid, people would've found some of Wilson's "superhuman demon" type descriptors and his "like a 5 year old vs. Hulk Hogan" statement to be laughable (especially since Wilson himself is 6'4" and certainly no lightweight). But when he said it about Brown they bought it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or, he's just a bully who should never have been a cop in the first place. Or he's desperately trying to make his actions look better. Or, you are assuming things again.

Draft saved Draft deleted