1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

I don't recall ever arguing that things that can't be statistically proven don't exist.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny how your memory fails when you get busted on things. You do exactly that on the baseball threads. Vastly different topic, but the concept is the same.

3. RickStain

This is going to be a great litmus test on whether you are actually interested in a discussion or are going off on one of your little things.

The following sentiments *can* be attributed to me in the baseball threads that you are referring to:

1) If you look for statistical evidence of something that should yield statistical evidence, and it isn't there, then it probably doesn't exist (and for practical purpose that can be shorthanded down to "doesn't exist.")

2) There are things people believe about sports, specifically about baseball, that have foundations in well-known cognitive biases in human thought that cause them to believe those things, and so strong belief by the people involved that something exists is not compelling evidence of its existence.

Neither of those are the same as "things that can't be proven statistically don't exist."

Do you agree?

4. RickStain

Also, by the standards you put forth, would you say that you are *certain* I am posting in whatever manner I am because I believe I am losing the argument, or would you merely say you believe it?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is exactly how it was with me, as well. Leaning the other way until reading Wilson's own words yesterday. Just seemed so patently obvious that I was taking in bullshit, and not just any bullshit, but precisely the bullshit one would make up when trying to get off the hook for killing a black kid--almost to the point where it could've been mistaken for comedic parody.

6. RickStain

Let's take this in a slightly different direction in the interest of harmony.

Here are some things I also believe:

1) Darren Wilson was a victim in his own way in all this. This incident has not improved his life, no doubt, and it came about because he was part of a system that pushed him toward this. There's a serious "us vs. them" problem in U.S. police culture, as seen in the infamous "Bring it, all you fucking animals" incident, that causes police officers to fear for their lives in these situations more than they actually need to.

2) There was very, very little chance that Darren Wilson should be convicted of a crime under the way the law is written.

I'm much more interested in seeing police reforms, especially within the Ferguson department specifically, than I am seeing Wilson brought to any sort of "justice." Stringing up Wilson and leaving the system that created in him in place does nothing.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What's the recommended reading list to get further up on some details?

The wapo timeline article?

Wilson's testimony?

Instead of going in circles, I want to read up some more. As of the moment, I am still of the position that once events took place inside the police SUV, particularly involving the gun, the policeman felt endangered and things spiraled from there.

8. outofplace

One, you can stick the bit about "my little things" where the sun does not shine. Again, I believe you are covering up the failings in your argument with personal attacks and that was another one. Of course, I responded by pointing out your inconsistency, which is more relevant to this discussion.

Regarding the rest of your post, I'm not going to debate baseball with you here as it is well off topic. You are entitled to claim your positions are consistent even though they are not. You insist on statistical proof when somebody disagrees with you there, yet you are happy to rely on assumptions on this thread. That is not consistent.

9. outofplace

Did I claim to have no doubt on the matter? No, I did not. See the difference?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3837947/

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"I'm gonna rob for mine ... I got 2 sons."

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=321631451367869

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm shocked that a guy facing life in prison told his side of the story in a way that made him look as good as possible, and where his life was most in danger.

It's really disturbing too when you consider the honest and accurate testimony that everyone else gave.

Draft saved Draft deleted