1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

This country was quite literally founded on turning to a free-for-all and burning stuff down when you feel your appeals for justice have been met with deaf ears.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, the looters in Ferguson are just the latest in a long line of committed social reformers.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rick does not possess a better vocabulary than mine. I simply dumb things down so even people like you can keep up. Apparently, I need to keep things even simpler for you in the future. Maybe I can scan in some pictures drawn with crayons.

I say that because Rick isn't even coming close to posting as I do. He is making things up, passing off his assumptions about this case as fact. He not only made up a racist persona for Wilson, he also claimed that everybody who doesn't agree with him is also a racist. You are both out of line.

4. RickStain

A large section of this country *loves* the looters. They want them to loot. That's why they exist.

Minority is pissed off at the establishment. Establishment makes a huge stink about looting. "Oh man, whatever you do, don't do *that*!" Practically daring the pissed off people to do it.

Then they get to clutch their pearls and think to themselves what animals those people are.

5. RickStain

Racist

6. RickStain

For a guy making a big show about how you have to dumb down things for others, there's two things that you don't seem to get:

1) The "everyone who disagrees with me" line was a clear joke because I had just got done talking about how we use labels to dismiss people who disagree with us.

2) In the English language, opinions use declarative sentence format.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

AP:

Some witnesses said Michael Brown had been shot in the back. Another said he was lying face-down when Officer Darren Wilson finished him off. Still others acknowledged changing their stories to fit published details about the autopsy, or admitted that they didn't see the shooting at all.

An Associated Press review of thousands of pages of grand jury documents reveals numerous examples of statements made during the shooting investigation that were inconsistent, fabricated or provably wrong.

Another woman testified that she saw Brown leaning through the officer's window "from his navel up," with his hand moving up and down, as if he were punching the officer. But when the same witness returned to testify again on another day, she said she suffers from mental disorder, has racist views and that she has trouble distinguishing the truth from things she had read online. Prosecutors suggested the woman had fabricated the entire incident, and wasn't even at the scene the day of the shooting.

Another witness had told the FBI after the shooting that he saw Wilson shoot Brown in the back, and then stand over his prone body to finish him off. But in his grand jury testimony, this witness, acknowledged that he had not seen that part of the shooting, and that what he told the FBI was "based on me being where I'm from and that can be the only assumption that I have."

The witness, who lives in the predominantly black neighborhood where Brown was killed, also acknowledged that he changed his story to fit details of the autopsy that he had learned about on TV.

"So it was after you learned that the things you said you saw couldn't have happened that way, then you changed your story about what you seen?" a prosecutor asserted.

"Yeah, to coincide with what really happened," the witness replied.

Another man, describing himself as a friend of Brown's, told a federal investigator that he heard the first gunshot, looked out his window and saw an officer with a gun drawn and Brown "on his knees with his hands in the air." He added: "I seen him shoot him in the head."

But when later pressed by the investigator, the friend said he hadn't seen the actual shooting because he was walking down the stairs at the time, and instead had heard details from someone in the apartment complex.

"What you are saying you saw isn't forensically possible based on the evidence," the investigator told the friend.

Shortly after that, the friend asked if he could leave.

"I ain't feeling comfortable," he said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/078c82ad45ff4ec6aa1c7744dfa7df14/grand-jury-documents-rife-inconsistencies

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

For a guy making such a big deal about accusing somebody else of missing a joke, you completely missed the one I directed at Sunshine. I think I would have had to link to a laugh track to make it more obvious.

If you don't want to admit to making accusations of racism you can't back up, that is your failing, not mine.

And I get No. 2, but that is just a lame attempt on your part to sidestep the truth in my post. You are claiming you know things that you don't. It is somewhat understandable. This entire debate has been full of such reckless claims, both on this board and in every other forum.

9. YankeeFan

So did the St. Louis cops who shot dead the mentally disturbed man in the days after Brown was killed.

And, everyone praised St. Louis PD for being so open, honest, and transparent. Until the video came out and showed their story wasn't factual either.

BTW, do we know the names of the St. Louis Cops yet?

Anyone really want to argue that Ferguson handled things any differently than any other PD?

Seems like the key is to spin the story well enough that the you don't gather a lot of attention. Once the original narrative is written, it doesn't matter if the facts change.

10. YankeeFan

They wouldn't introduce his statements to investigators or the grand jury into evidence?

Did you watch the OJ trial?

He didn't testify, but his side of the story was certainly presented to the jury based on the statements he made to investigators.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Social reformers my ass. Just a bunch of hoodlums venting their anger.

But, hey, I get that. If I'm going to sit in prison because I vent my anger and destroy stuff..... well, so should they.

12. RickStain

Is hoodlums the new code word? Like "thugs"?

Draft saved Draft deleted