1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

This is such utter horseshit, starting with the fact that Wilson testified "I was not in control of my gun" and then the investigator testified that he made the decision to not test Wilson's gun for Brown's fingerprints because "Wilson never lost control of his gun."

Moving on, let's shift to the fact that Wilson testified he was "attacked" by Brown, punched twice in the face with such force he feared a third punch "might be fatal" and the "evidence" for this is a pimple on his right cheek that looks like it could have come from shaving. Would you and Tony like to re-post the thing you were so giddy about posting a month ago where Fox News was claiming Wilson had a fractured eye socket? Should we prosecute the person who lied about that too?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"He's coming right for us!"

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You're quite a distance from understanding.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LTL, did you listen to the DA's statement before he announced the GJ's decision?

Now, maybe he's lying, but he specifically said that some "witnesses", when presented with the inconsistencies between their testimony and the forensic evidence admitted they had not witnessed the events and were only repeating what they had heard/been told.

That means they lied. Big fat liars. Liars. Liars who lied. Not folks who just got a time, or distance, or position wrong. They are liars.

Can we agree on this point?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, Wilson didn't pull his gun immediately and execute the guy. But it's possible that he caused the confrontation (the friend Johnson noting that Wilson was the aggressor trying to pull Brown into the car after whatever happened with the door) instead of Brown dive-bombing into the car. That deserves exploration.

To the second part, absolutely the racist police force of Ferguson closed ranks to protect their guy. They've done it before, like when they beat the crap out of that old black guy and then charged him with getting his blood on their clothes, and they'll do it again. They're horrible people. Come on. It's just an oversight to not collect ANY evidence from inside the car?

Also have to go back to their behavior after the incident and all the misdirections and cover-ups. Then there was the story that got out somehow that Brown had an orbital blowout fracture. You think the cops' fingerprints aren't all over that bullshit?

6. RickStain

We should probably shoot the liars. You can't lie about a cop and not expect bad things to happen to you.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that lies only count when they get in the way of what we want the truth to be.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Frankly, yes, I think the prosecuting attorney is lying. He has been in the tank for the cops his whole career and he ran this as a dog-and-pony show.

And as I and others are noting, is everyone a liar who got something wrong? Why do you excuse Wilson from your standard?

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just because it's such a scary statement. I'm only surprised he didn't use the word "pigs."

10. RickStain

So we have three groups that are all equally liars.

1) random citizens
    2) the police force given a near monopoly on legal use of force
    3) members of the justice system given oversight of the police force

I wonder why someone would be more concerned with the first group lying than the other two. I wonder if skin color has anything to do with it...

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Quote me.

And, if someone falsely testified to the grand jury or to investigators that Wilson had a fractured eye socket, then yes, prosecute them.

Sadly for the media, it's not against the law to lie to a gullible reporter.

As for the "pimple" on Wilson's cheek (and the scratch on the back of his neck) isn't that at least proof that he was punched? Isn't that a pretty important detail.

Did his accomplice in the cigarillo heist -- who's testimony you are such a fan of -- testify that the Gentle Giant punched Wilson?

If you decide to punch a cop in the face, you better knock him out at the very least, and or get his gun, because you've taken your life into your own hands once you make that decision. (And, since we know teenaged Michael Brown was a habitual smoker of marijuana, and high as a kite during the incident, we should also acknowledge that his decision making was impaired, unlike Wilson's.)

It's like folks think Wilson would have been more justified if Brown had gotten in a better shot. Really? You can only consider you're life in danger if the guy's first couple of punches land cleanly? What about the intent?

Was Brown only trying to hurt him a little bit? Were those "love taps" and not attempts to truly injure him?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

On going Federal investigation could prove to be interesting. Current DOJ has seemed to find many ways to work beyond The Constitution and fit the laws to their narrative.

Draft saved Draft deleted