1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

Wilson: He grabbed my gun! He was beating me so severely, I thought the third punch might end my life!

Medical examiner: Wilson suffered "no bleeding, no laceration, no ecchymosis [bruises]."

St. Louis PD: We did not test for fingerprints on Officer Wilson's weapon. Also, our camera is out of batteries.

Wilson: He ran like 30-40 feet from the car, then charged at me and I took him down.

St. Louis PD: Um, he died 150 feet from the car.

Wilson: Well, when he was charging at me, he reached for his waistband.

St. Louis PD: Where no weapon existed? He charged and reached for his invisible weapon?

Wilson: Um…. well, I knew he'd just robbed a store!

St. Louis PD: Actually, we didn't tell you that until after he was dead. Also, maybe turn over your service weapon? We were supposed to take it from you right away, but forgot.

Wilson: Shit.

St. Louis PD: I know, right?

Wilson: Good thing you're not taking any notes! Now, do you mind if I wash the blood off my hands that's clearly not mine?

St. Louis PD: Sounds good, man. We better continue this interview at the hospital, even though you just said you don't believe you need to go, despite being in a fight for your life. We'll leak some shit about how you had a fractured eye socket to friendly media outlets soon.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I liked his description of the moment when Brown stopped running:

"When [Brown] stopped, he turned, looked at me, made like a grunting noise and had the most intense, aggressive face I've ever seen on a person. When he looked at me, he then did like the hop...you know, like people do to start running. And, he started running at me."

From the "grunting noise" onward, does this not sound like the imagery he's trying to convey is that of a charging bull?

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If the guy was behind the wheel of a car how was he punched on his right cheek. that cheek would be facing the passenger side or windshield

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

EXCELLENT POINT

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to think my characterization that the shooting was "mostly justified" was off the mark. What kind of jackasses don't take notes in an interview of a shooting suspect even if it's one of your own? Don't you realize not securing evidence makes you look guilty as hell? Hope this department is thrown through the riggers of a federal criminal prosecution for violating Brown's civil rights. If for nothing else than to out publicly how incompetent they are.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nothing shows concern for a young man killed quite as effectively as stealing Nikes, liquor and TVs and burning down businesses.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Can we just agree that people are idiots and call it a night? Cops, a teen stealing cigarillos, the unwashed masses, cable news people and anyone else you want to throw in here?

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Bottom line: This entire incident could have been avoided if Brown had complied to the officer's directive when asked to move to the sidewalk.
    Don't like the police? Fine. But we live in a society where you do as they instruct you to do.
    I've been pulled over. My reaction isn't "F**k you officer. I have places to be!," it's do what I'm told, allow the officer to do his job and carry on.
    It's not difficult.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure your experience with police is completely comparable to what happens in Ferguson on a daily basis, since of course everybody gets treated the same way as white people in the suburbs.

For instance, the many times you've been pulled over for a broken taillight or going 32 mph in a 30 zone.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No one is arguing he shouldn't have obeyed the officer. The argument is that disobeying an officer shouldn't be punishable by death.

11. schiezainc

I'm not arguing that. Every major look into the issue of police profiling and the way black individuals are treated by cops compared to how white people are show that there is a major difference.
    Not arguing that.
    But when a police officer tells you to do something, you comply. End of story.
    I don't care if you've been arrested 4,582 times. If an officer tells you to get on the ground, get on the ground.
    That's the society we live in.
    If Michael Brown had done what he was told, what's the worst that would have happened? He would have been inconvenienced for 12 seconds if he had moved to the sidewalk as both Wilson and Brown's friend said. "My destination is right there" is not an excuse to disobey a police order.
    And if Wilson did know Brown had stolen those cigars, Brown would have been arrested, tried and sentenced in accordance with the laws he chose to break.
    And if Brown had any respect for the police, he wouldn't have escalated the confrontation at Wilson's vehicle, he wouldn't have run from the scene and he wouldn't have gotten shot.
    And if Wilson still shot him? Well, then maybe you have a case.
    But that's not what happened.
    Brown had no respect for Wilson. He ignored a police directive. He escalated a conflict. He created a situation in which Wilson (justifiably or not in the eyes of many) feared for his life. Now he's dead.
    Let's not pretend this is the same thing as an unarmed Trayvon Martin minding his business and getting shot by some cowboy wanna be who was explicitly told not to engage him by a 911 dispatcher.
    The facts of that case are much murkier. This, in my opinion, is open and shut.

12. schiezainc

Agreed. But there are consequences of your actions in this world. And if your (completely preventable) actions create a scenario in which this type of conflict arises, you have to deal with those consequences.
    Michael Brown wasn't shot on his way to church on a Sunday morning. He was shot after committing a crime and after provoking an officer of the law and creating a life-or-death situation after repeatedly ignoring his commands.

Draft saved Draft deleted