1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

There's a link in that piece to another Vox piece quoting a psychologist who says, "When we remember something, we're taking bits and pieces of experience — sometimes from different times and places — and bringing it all together to construct what might feel like a recollection but is actually a construction."

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/7281037/ferguson-eyewitness-testimony

He could be lying. But the fact that he is wrong doesn't necessarily mean he is lying. Nor does Wilson's recollection of the distances, and the fact that they don't add up to the 150 feet Brown was away from the car, necessarily mean Wilson is lying about that. And that distance is a major fucking detail too.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Important graf:

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That graph is precisely why I feel the way I do. Wilson's account is total fantasy, and I'm sorry some people here are so content to jerk off over it, that they think Brown's blood in the car somehow validates his entire account. Much of what Johnson testifies to supports the physical evidence, in fact. The idea that this the demon-man would first try to crush a cop with his own door, THEN reach for his weapon, then turn away and get shot twice, THEN charge the heroic cop in a stage of rage, is just a complete joke. Brown may very well have been a bad kid who scared the shit out of an officer and didn't yield fast enough that maybe he deserved to be shot in the arm a few times. He sure as shit didn't deserve to be fired on 11 times, executed, and then have the tough guy cop loom over him for awhile instead of calling a fucking ambulance. In Johnson's account, two hot-headed people made a bad situation worse at every turn, and Brown died as a result. In Wilson's account, a heroic Wilson saved us all from Big Mike opening the Hellmouth, demon that he was.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm confused about something: we've all seen the video of the step-father ("burn the bitch down"), his reaction and Browns mother sobbing outside the police station in apparent reaction to hearing the news about no indictment. But according to the USA Today, she was at home before McCullough went on the air and got the news when the DA called the family lawyer. So either the USA Today was wrong or Mom and step dad were staging that little drama. Any insights?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I can't abide Fox a d their complete abdication of any reporting, but CNN and NBC (MSNBC) are just as bad pandering to the left. Is there any national reporting that is calling balls and strikes?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You'll find the answers you're looking for on Twitter.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Meaning?

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

CNN is pandering to stupid.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ok
    A couple observations:

1. I don't know whose idea it is to put the cop on television doing an interview with Stephanoupolous, but it is Hall of Fame bad. What can he possibly say or do right now to help put out the fire? Nothing. Go disappear to Montana for a spell.

During the NYC dust up earlier.....where the white guy took several swings at a cop.....that sum bitch would still be getting the hell beat out of him.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

And during Mr Browns presser......that fucking racist mongrel Sharpton standing front and center.
    Yes Al.....its about you too.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Six instances where it is clear the investigation was botched from the beginning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/25/ferguson-grand-jury-evidence-mistakes_n_6220814.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I know this is serious stuff, but I found myself chuckling out loud a couple times reading that piece.

I think Stain nailed earlier when he described Wilson's story as sounded like a parody of the type of story one might make up when trying to get off the hook for killing a black kid. Also kind of reminded of that comic vehicle sitcoms have long used where two people tell their version of the same story, but with each side's wildly skewed from reality to make themselves look better ...except the other guy didn't get to tell his version here.

Draft saved Draft deleted