1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

All of this discussion isn't really addressing the issue of yesterday, which is... Why the hell wouldn't a grand jury indict him?

Conflicting testimony should be a reason to indict, so a trial can hopefully get to the truth. It shouldn't be brought up as a reason not to indict. There wasn't "probable cause" to indict someone for shooting another person multiple seven or eight times?

Indicting a person is not convicting them. It seems people are confused about that.

2. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

LTL, according to Missouri law, all the justification Wilson needed for using deadly force was a reasonable fear that his life was in danger.

Like it or not, the physical evidence I've read about strongly suggests that Brown continued to advance toward him after being struck in the right arm.

If Brown really did initiate the original physical confrontation -- including the big no-no of reaching for Wilson's gun -- I don't think it would be a hard sell for a grand jury to agree that Wilson's life was in danger.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Much like trial juries, grand juries also are allowed to take credibility of the witnesses into account.

4. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

If the witnesses against Wilson were both conflicting and not credible (which they seem to be), and the physical evidence shows that Brown continued to advance toward Wilson after being ordered to surrender, there is no probable cause under Missouri law to support an indictment.

If that's the case, why let it go to a jury, where all sorts of possibilities would exist for Wilson to be wrongfully convicted?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Eh, quit complaining, blacks. Cops fuck up everyone. Read up.

The Fullerton cop told the white guy that he was going to "fuck him up". Acquitted.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas
    Warning : DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK IF YOU HAVE A QUEASY STOMACH. Its the Kelly Thomas 'after'.
    http://parrishmiller.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/kelly-thomas-before-and-after.jpg

This white guy was killed for holding a water pistol in LB.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/man-killed-by-long-beach-police-was-holding-a-water-nozzle.html

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You keep jumping back to the number of shots fired. One lethal shot is as much a justification to indict as 12. In this case, the officer was found to have acted with justification in shooting his weapon based on the perceived threat Brown gave. At that point, you are going to have a very hard time proving that the sixth, seventh or eighth round fired was excessive.
    If the kid was shot once, fell to the ground with his arms out and the officer was no longer in danger and the cop pulled a Dirty Harry on the kid, that's a different story.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This.

I went to high school there and never really liked the area. Attended the bluest of the blue-blood public high school district.

Couldn't wait to leave and go to school three states away, which I did.

St. Louis is one of the most provincial areas you could ever have, an unspoken caste system based on where you did go to high school. For example, you could tell me a high school and I could probably correctly stereotype what your parents did for a living.

As one who went to HS about 10 miles from Ferguson (granted, more than 20 years ago), I knew NEVER to go "up there" at night unless you were asking for an adventure. Likewise, I had friends who were African-American who absolutely didn't want to go to South County (anywhere south of I-44) at night because of the racism they would experience down there.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

WaPo graphic showing the sequence of events.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/national/ferguson-grand-jury-findings/?hpid=z1

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

right here

10. SnarkShark

Another aspect I don't understand from that graphic.

Brown "tussled" with Wilson, then Brown ran away when the shots were fired from inside the car. Then, Brown had a change of heart, and ran at Wilson, while Wilson was firing more shots at him? This makes zero sense.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I see you neglect to mention the head shots. How does that final head shot when he's already down fit in with "merely trying to disable"?

12. SnarkShark

Is there evidence he shot him in the head when he was down? I haven't seen anything like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted