1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morris or Bumgarner?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 31, 2014.

?

Who had the more memorable Game 7 pitching performance, Jack Morris (1991) or Madison Bumgarner (201

1. Jack Morris

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Madison Bumgarner

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bumgarner slinging 5 more 3 days after 9 shutout are major points on his side.

2. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

If we're talking just the Game 7 performance:

1. Morris
    2. Smoltz
    3. Bumgarner

Yes, Bumgarner was on short rest, but those extra four innings mean something. Bumgarner was also pitching with a (slim) lead the entire time.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In case anyone wants to watch Morris v. Smoltz

1991 World Series, Game 7: Braves @ Twins: http://youtu.be/BT_MODis138

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Best game 7 performance I ever seen was from Koufax. Koufax couldn't get loose in the first inning of game 7 (not uncommon for him his last couple of seasons) and walked 2 batters. After that he sailed. Frank Quilici got the only hard hit off of him, a double. He threw fewer and fewer curves as the game went on. As great as Bumgarner's performance was on two days rest- and it was- Koufax' was a level above, and in my opinion, the greatest game 7 pitching performance ever.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It's Morris if all you look at is one game. It's Bumgarner if you look at the whole performance. It wasn't his five-innings in Game 7, it was the five innings three days after throwing nine innings and being the only of the Giants' starters to go more than 6 innings in any of his starts, and even then, only Hudson in Game 3 recorded an out in the sixth. What Bumgarner meant to the Giants and how he effectively won three games for them is damn impressive.

You can't pick one over another because they each did wildly different impressive feats.

I'll throw this out there which was better, the Randy Johnson/Curt Shilling combo or Affeldt/Bumgarner (and I throw Affeldt to keep symmetry and because he got the win in his longest relief outting of the season)?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Until somebody goes 11, a 10-inning complete game win in Game 7 of the World Series pretty much tops any other Game 7 pitching performance in MLB history.

And if he'd have done it for the Yankees he would have been a first ballot Hall of Famer.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Which Yankees are in the HOF undeservedly?

8. joe

joe Active Member

Bernie Miklasz on how Bumgarner's performance stacks up to Gibson:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-madbum-say-hello-to-gibby/article_2f35d0ba-8eef-5b83-81b0-cc02805cb3da.html

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where did I say that?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You suggested it when you said that Morris would be in the Hall of Fame if he had pitched that game for the Yankees.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Neither. I'll take Bob Gibson

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you are comparing just the the Game 7 performances, I think you have to give it to Morris.

If you are going to compare the entire series or even their post-season accomplishments, I'd rather have Bumgarner. It is a bit early to compare careers given that Bumgarner just turned 24 in August.

In the playoffs, Bumgarner has a 2.14 career ERA in 88 1/3 innings pitched over 14 appearances, 12 of them starts. Morris has a 3.80 ERA in 92 1/3 innings over 13 appearances, all starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted