1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween, kids and co-workers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Oct 31, 2014.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I'd cover any shift on any holiday you want. What do I care? A day is a day.

Then again, if you want me to cover for you because you're an adult and you'll have a hangover after a sporting event? Fuck you. Grow up.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You sound like a good time.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A good time can be had in dozens of ways.

Person A enjoys spending New Year's Eve curled up near the fireplace warching a movie with his wife or significant other. Person B enjoys standing in 27 degree weather in Times Square screaming "Wooooo! Wooooo!"

What on earth makes Person B more "fun.'' ?

4. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

No, you are not over reacting. Your wife's partner sounds like a selfish prick. But it's her own fault. She has to learn to say no to him. Next time he wants to go golfing she should say she has plans with her kids. Do that a few times and he will likely because less of a dick.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This. If you want to make holiday plans, you get things set with the needed co-worker(s) and management in advance. If you wait till it has gotten close, you risk othr people having made plans of their own. Sometimes people think they have a right to their own holiday plans, even if you want to make some.

6. Before I was married I was on the other side of this a few times and really resented when parents got special scheduling treatment. Now as a parent, I have worked really hard to resist ever playing the P-card. As several people said, planning is key. I requested Halloween off in January. (Last year I requested Halloween off in advance and got it, but then our town delayed trick-or-treating a day because of a tornado watch. So I was screwed.)

I always resented when my husband had a boss who would ask what he wanted a day off for when he would request it. Like, if his plans weren't important enough he wouldn't get it. Now my biggest problem is that newspapers have cut staff so much there is no flexibility at all even if bosses WANTED to offer it.

As a side note, as a young employee, I remember working almost all holidays. At a place with time and a half, I even welcomed it. But the young people we hire now seem to think they are entitled to holidays and weekends off. I do not get it.

On the topic of birthdays, I don't generally take the day off, and birthdays at our house usually just mean a gift and cake. But this year was a really big milestone. I told my husband I wanted something special, so we invited several couples as our guests at a really cool restaurant. I had a great time.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nothing at all, just don't judge the other person.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But isn't a sarcastic, unnecessary "You sound like a good time" judging someone?

Or am I on another planet here?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair point. And I agree that people have different ways of enjoying holidays/birthdays and all are legitimate. I would have no desire at this stage in my life to go to Times Square on NYE. But I also don't see them on TV and think "WTF is wrong with those people?" Sure sounds like Dick does.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. I enjoy New Year's Eve. I get it.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

New Year's Eve is the worst.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh my. So, how is New Year's Eve AT ALL different from a birthday? Same concept, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted