1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween, kids and co-workers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Oct 31, 2014.

1. So they moved Friday night football for Halloween? Wow.

2. I'm with Dick on this one ... I don't understand - never did - taking your birthday off. The whole day? For a birthday? Yeah, If I'm going somewhere. But just hang around the house? Uh, no.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Yep. They played 19 games last night across 10 leagues, leaving about a dozen tonight.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Other than my 40th, I don't recall ever having specifically taking off on my birthday. We get a paid day as well, but I just use it as an extra vacation day. But I don't see why anyone would think it's stupid that someone else wants to celebrate a birthday. It's just a reason to have a little fun. My best friend has a big bash at a beach hotel most years, and it's just an excuse to get a bunch of people together and drink beer and laugh.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Understood, but the point is the same.
    When you know something special is coming up and you need someone to switch shifts, you ask before that person makes other plans.
    My wife and I don't have kids, and we live out in the foothills. There are no tricker-treaters.
    If it was me, I'd probably cover the woman's shift.
    If my wife and I had already made plans, maybe not. Probably, but it would depend on the plans.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The kids should check to make sure their flights haven't been cancelled.

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

If my birthday is on Halloween and I have kids am I allowed to ask my co-worker to cover next Thursday's shift?

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I wish one of you fuckers would have told me how bad it sucks to get a 3-year old and 7-month old ready for Halloween and then go trick or treating.
    I am wiped.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Should have just gone to work! :)

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Regarding the birthday discussion, every year for my birthday I host a little get together with my friends that still live in the state. We go to a restaurant and have dinner and then do some sort of activity (Laser tag, bowling, etc) It's always pretty low key but it's the one day I choose to put myself first and spend it with the people that mean the most to me. Sometimes, it's the only time I see some of these people.
    This year, though, I've asked my wife and best friend to throw my party for me and said that's all I wanted. (I'm turning 30 in November). I don't ask for much so I don't think having a couple hours during one day of the year be about me is too much to want.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I almost always take my birthday off.

I live in Arizona and my birthday falls in the middle of Spring Training. I can find a way to entertain myself pretty easily.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You're such a looser. Yay! You're a whole year older. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted