1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween, kids and co-workers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Do milennials also love their compulsive inanity?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What if you are have no kids and your birthday falls on Halloween. Who gets the day, the employee with kids or the employee with the birthday?

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, that, I'll never understand.

My younger co-workers were devastated that I didn't throw some giant bash for my 40th.

I said, "I'm 40. I'm happily married. I have little kids, and I don't drink. Why the fuck would you want to party with me?"

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just think if Ted Mosby's co-worker had kids. No slutty pumpkin. His whole life and the search for the mother would have been meaningless.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's her and another pharmacist in their store on a rotating schedule. They can request personal days, but only one per week. She took one Monday for a DR appointment, but her and her partner cover for each other when things come up. She came in and covered for him so he could meet friends out the night before he left for vacation, covered the day after a Patriots game, stuff like that.
    I'm annoyed because she'll cover for him regardless of the situation. He covers when it's convenient for him.
    It's over and done with and my fun starts in an hour when I have to bring the dynamic duo to my mother in law's to get makeup (for the 3 y/o dressing like a butterfly), drive them up to my wife, then head back down to meet the rest of the fam for ToT. I miss college when I would just dress like an idiot, get hammered and see how many slutty pirates I could hit on.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think they love their birthdays. I subscribe to the Dave Barry theory that once you turn 11, you shouldn't care about your birthday anymore.

My last real birthday party was when I turned 18, unless you count five people dragging me out to the bars on my 21st a party.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Hmm.
    Depends on a few things:
    1) What birthday
    2) How old are the kids
    3) Work schedule

I'd still give the edge to Halloween, because there's no trick or treating past 8 with young kids. I've never started a birthday party before 9 pm, unless you count covering the state swim championships every year, which all but ended my ability to celebrate my birthday.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sounds like your issue may be with something other than an uncooperative co-worker.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This does seem pretty simple. Yes, it can take year-in-advance planning, but when putting in vacation requests and the like for the following year, try to figure out what days you absolutely want to have off. There's an event every year held on the last Saturday of October that my wife loves, so I always make sure that day is on the vacation list I typically submit in November of the previous year. It doesn't guarantee I'll get it, but I'm 3-for-3 so far.

So many people in my shop STILL don't seem to get this. December rolls around, and everybody seems to have a bunch of unused vacation days that haven't been scheduled. Guess what? You're gonna lose 'em because you didn't plan ahead.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did Halloween sneak up on your wife?

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I'm dressing as Wolverine.
    https://www.facebook.com/ronclements727/media_set?set=a.10102110700196903.1073741858.22206326&type=1&pnref=story

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess the doctor was only in session this week, which forced the need to use that personal day. I am sure there was no possible way to foresee and reschedule that.

Draft saved Draft deleted