1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FSU: You can't make this stuff up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"I truly believe that they may not have some of the necessities to be, let's say, a running back, a cornerback or perhaps a defensive tackle."

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe someday white males will start getting a break in this country.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Serious question.

How come there are so few black kickers and punters? I don't think I have ever seen a black kicker and not many black punters.

And is one reason that we see fewer white kids playing major college football is because fewer white kids play football in high school? I have a nephew who just graduated from a racially mixed high school. In this school black kids and white kids run in different groups. So now football and basketball are "black sports" and baseball is a "white" sport. While kids can go out for any sport they like to associate with their peer groups and hence racial clustering occurs.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've worked in a few areas where football was really the only truly integrated sport, maybe activity, in the high schools. I've covered sports in towns and counties where baseball was a white sport and basketball was black sport, volleyball was black and field hockey was white and on and on. But all kinds of boys played football.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Again, serious question.

Is your experience in smaller towns or urban areas? I think this is true in areas where high school football is a big deal. So being on the team is an activity that can provide gratification to anyone on the squad. But in larger urban areas where there is basically zero interest in the local high school team would that that be true?

My very cynical take is that the rise of high school lacrosse is to create an activity for white kids who no longer go out for football. And as the parent of two kids who went to school in a district in a very "liberal" area a cynical approach to race is well warranted.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait - FSU had a practice in a public park and had their gumbaugh managers and video guys trying to tell people they couldn't take photos?

This actually happened?

I thought this was just one of those Twitter bullshit rumors that grew life and became "fact" - this is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Draft saved Draft deleted