1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are your best friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Oct 29, 2014.

?

Who makes up the majority of your closest friends?

1. Friends I've known since high school or earlier

24.2%
  2. College friends

39.4%
  3. Colleagues

3.0%
  4. Other

33.3%
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Two from HS.
    Four from college.
    Two from my first newspaper gig.
    Three from my current job.
    My wife.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Friend hog.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My best friend is my wife. Other than that, I'm in the "few or no friends" category.
    Between long, irregular work hours and living in a different town than I work in, it's tough to do much on my days off other than veg out. So I haven't made a lot of friends outside of work. And since I've worked at a small paper my whole career, the ones I make at work invariably end up moving on after a while. I keep in contact with some of them, but rarely if ever see them.
    College friends are the same way. We've all drifted to different parts of the country. The way we all keep in touch is through fantasy football and baseball leagues. I saw one of them for dinner when we vacationed in Chicago a couple of years ago, but that was the first time I'd seen him in about 10 years.

Have a good friend from high school I keep in touch with, but not as much as I should. We visit when I'm back home and we were in each other's weddings, but don't talk on a daily or weekly basis.
    A few others from that era are Facebook friends. Not many I care to truly call "friends," though. I had a pretty miserable time in high school. Our 20th reunion is coming up and, beyond the logistics of flying halfway across the country at Thanksgiving, I have no real desire to do that and pretend to like people who were at best indifferent to me.

I get depressed over this sometimes. I'm pushing 40 and don't really have anyone outside of my wife that I'm close to or can call up to watch a football game with. Makes me wonder what I've done with my life. Then I realize it's sort of my nature. Always have been a bit of a loner and probably always will be. I have to make an effort to be sociable. Thank God my wife is a bit more outgoing than I am, and I can live vicariously through her.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

My best friends are all of you here at SportsJournalists.com

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I used to scoff at my wife when she would make a reference to some mythical "boys" in reference to a guy thing, like me watching the Super Bowl or getting a new video game. "You can invite the boys over." "Honey, what boys? I work a bizarro world schedule and haven't had friends since college."

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So sorry.

My best friend I have known since we played youth football at 8 years old. Also have a couple of guys who were in my tight-knit group in in high school, but I only see them occasionally. I don't have a single friend I talk to from college. I went to a commuter school and had a full-time job, so I never really made any.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

The SJ Pro Wrestling thread posters. Okay, that's the silly answer. The real answer is too deep for iPhone typing at 5:30 a.m.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Best friends: 1 since about 4th grade, the other since senior year of HS (we met working in fast food, didn't go to the same school and didn't become good friends until college)

Close friends: 2 or 3 from my first professional job, we don't always talk a lot or see each other much, but when we do, it's like nothing has changed. The others came from college, working at the student TV station or student radio station.

High School friends: I play fantasy football with my best friend from that era, and that's about it. I can't even get him to come to my house when I am back home and he ignores any communication other than trade offers.
    The other was a enemy in high school, but we became roomies in college, so I consider him more of a college friend, even though we went to HS together.

9. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

My wife and my kids are the only people I am interested in spending time with.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Two good friends from home that I've known since I was about five.
    Two separate groups of 10-15 friends from college. I see subsets of each group 3-4 times a year. Because of weddings, I usually see the one group every other year or so. I go to a lake house with the other group every year, and then also see them for a wedding here and there.
    A group of about 10 people in the city I live in, with five of them being the ones I'm closest to who I see a couple times a week.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seriously?

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I get that.

Draft saved Draft deleted