1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Journalism job for journalists - St. Louis

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This is for a job at my company. My boss actually said, "I imagine a journalist would be best for this job." He also said that he prefers a local candidate because we can't pay for relocation. However, I am a former print journalist. I know what print journalists earn in salary, and I know what this job pays. Let me just say this - no print journalist in America will turn this job down due to lack of relocation coverage.

If you have any questions or want details, let me know.

Position Purpose:

The Director, Corporate Communications is responsible for all Peabody Energy flagship communications including the Annual Report, Corporate Social Responsibility Report, Executive Presentations, State of the Company addresses (Town Halls), high profile internal initiatives such as Leadership Conference, etc.

Key Responsibilities:

Plans, writes and edits all communications activities for Peabody Energy’s flagship communications, including articles, reports, editorials, etc.
    Determines theme of publications and gathers related material.
    Works with outside agency on design, theme, etc. of publications.
    Secures graphic material from picture sources.
    May prepare news or public relations releases, special brochures, and similar materials.
    Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
    Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
    Research, manage, and support speaking opportunities, including company-sponsored events and executive briefings.
    Develop and execute the internal and external communications program for the ELT including speaking engagements and recognition, presentations (manage related content and logistics needs), videos, talking points, social media and thought leadership.

Key Requirements:

Excellent verbal and written communications skills
    Extremely articulate and outstanding writer with the ability to create compelling messages
    Fluency in AP Style
    Ability to independently edit a document
    Ability to be creative with documents
    Ability to work under pressure and tight time frames
    Ability to turn complex ideas into stories easily understood by a broad audience
    Strong business acumen combined with a fluency in topical news and culture
    Strong executive influence skills/content development skills

EEO Disclaimer Peabody Energy is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25413&siteid=5485&AReq=3544BR

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

No disrespect to you at all, but based on that job description, it should pay pretty damn well. The only thing the job doesn't appear to require is a pint of blood.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's what we need now: a running thread of non-journalism jobs for us.

4. bevo

bevo Member

I wouldn't expect to get a job like this being just a reporter or copy editor. This looks like a job for an upper management editor type at a large paper with years of experience.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Really? That doesn't look like that much to me. Pretty standard communications director stuff, as far as I can tell. I'd say it's less than a college or pro beat writer for a newspaper.

Currently, my job description includes planning, editing and producing a monthly national magazine (including developing story and content ideas), assisting in the production of 21 state publications, writing scripts for an Internet TV "news magazine" show, writing and distributing press releases, handling media relations, working in various roles at our annual convention, determining the annual theme for our publications and convention (actually, I'm part of a team that does that) and generally coordinating all of our communications activities.

For that I get paid more than I ever made in the newspaper business ... but I'm not buying a second home on the Riviera, either.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Yeah, I tend to agree with da man. It's just like any other corporate comms job. If you think it's too much, I guess don't apply. Of all the jobs on this board asking for a lot and offering little in return... this job asks a lot, but you will be compensated better than 99% of print journalists, with a fraction of the BS.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You'd be surprised. There's a lot of minutiae and juggling in jobs like these that wouldn't rattle most good reporters or copy editors. I'd bet a fair number of upper management editor types wouldn't adjust as well.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It likely won't pay enough to attract upper-management types from large newspapers. If you're interested, go for it, bevo.

Draft saved Draft deleted