1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Independent Tribune, Concord, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Do you have what it takes to cover sports in one of the most vibrant, fastest-growing counties in the country? We need a sports editor who can tackle high school sports, NASCAR and other motorsports and minor league baseball. It's a big job. We cover eight public high schools and they all want all the headlines all the time. The ability to get the most and best out a team of stringers is critical. A passion for NASCAR racing is essential. We're located in the true heart of NASCAR, home to Charlotte Motor Speedway and almost all the major race teams. The county is rich with NASCAR stories waiting to be told. We're also within striking distance of the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and UNC-Charlotte. The Independent Tribune publishes three days a week but delivers news and sports all day, every day online. The paper is part of Berkshire Hathaway's BH Media Group. Sister papers include the Greensboro News & Record, the Winston-Salem Journal and the Hickory Daily Record. Send your resume and five samples of your work to editor Lee Buchanan at 363 Church St, N., Ste. 140, Concord, NC 28025. You can also apply at www.bhmginc.com.

Used to be a daily until converted to a tri-weekly in 2009. I would think it is paginated at BH's editing hub in Hickory.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Oh, what fun!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I live 10 minutes from Concord and didn't even realize the town had a newspaper.

4. Tarheel316

That's saying a lot.

5. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

It does have a paper, and it's pretty good, too. The creep from Charlotte has really hurt circulation (which is why it's a three-day-a-week paper now), but the opportunity to do great work is there. The editor, Lee Buchanan, is a fantastic guy. If you're a hard worker, passionate about journalism and willing to experiment on the digital side, this is a good opportunity. You've got great subjects to cover (high school, NASCAR, some Charlotte sports) and only three hard print deadlines a week to contend with.

6. Tarheel316

Definitely concur with all of this. It's just that what BT said is very telling.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Glad to hear the I-T has finally got a good editor, Scott ... the old Concord Tribune was one of my early career stops, and I spent nearly four years there, building my NASCAR chops ... but ever since they combined the Tribune with the former Kannapolis Independent (and long-time publisher John Kennedy retired), they've been saddled with editors and/or publishers that made pretty bad decisions as far as coverage plans or editorial stances ... that seems to have evened out now (I worked with publisher Jon Dunham when he was ad director at Statesville, and he's smart enough to know he knows nothing about journalism) ... but like Tarheel said, BT's statement is troubling and telling ...

Draft saved Draft deleted