1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strike Zone Revolution - Getting Bigger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Oct 24, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/upshot/the-strike-zone-revolution.html?ref=sports&_r=1&abt=0002&abg=0

I for one am glad to see it getting called closer to the rule book; ridiculous that batters were practically whining unless it was thigh high.

Must be in the minority but would rather see 1-0 than 9-8 anytime.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Absolutely would love to see the strike zone called as written. I hate the ambiguity of it and how the umpires use it to their advantage.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You are absolutely in the minority. Over the history of baseball, attendance has been very closely proportional to offensive scoring levels.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And maybe that will finally help speed up the game. Don't know many people who enjoy 4-hour games.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As opposed to defensive scoring?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm with QT on this one, and yes we are probably in the minority.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Eric Gregg just read that, and said "Told you so, bitches."

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's one of the two things that's changed dramatically over time.

The other is the checked swing. At one time, you pretty much had to pop your wrists for the swing to be called.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The check swing is still a krap shoot. Yes, it's technically considered a swing if the barrel crosses the front of the plate, but is it really an attempt to swing?

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. One of the things I've always hated is hearing an umpire making calls according to "his" strike zone.

Draft saved Draft deleted