1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maddon leaves Rays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Is Dave Martinez the leader in the clubhouse to succeed Maddon?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Logical choice.

Which means it won't happen.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it will be a team that is willing to pay an ungodly sum to get him.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

True enough, might be Tony Dungy.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe they can bring back Chuck Lamar and coax Vinny Castillo and Greg Vaughn out of retirement.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think Jose Canseco still plays a handful of games each year in the independents. He's worked hard to stay in shape.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And they'd have to buy out the last two years of Renteria's contract.

As several people have noted Theo interviewed Maddon in 2003 when he ultimately hired Francona.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, it's a bit different now, isn't it? He has a track record of success with a terrible payroll. Rays couldn't/wouldn't pay him fair value for his level of success. It won't be the Dodgers unless he sits out a year. I'd actually be very surprised if it's not the Cubs. And Davey Martinez is a no-brainer. If he doesn't get it, there's something wrong with him as a candidate. And I just don't see him having the impact to keep the franchise afloat. Could be the end of the Rays as we have recently known them. Both local beat writers have mentioned Gabe Kapler as a candidate, which would be a disaster on multiple levels.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Texas Rangers could've waited a week to make a hire and had him. Jonny Boy errs again. :)

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well apparently, his opt-out clause didn't trigger til Friedman left. So I don't think anyone knew he would be available.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and reading the stuff about him leaving, he had forgotten about it until a few days after Friedman was gone. Yesterday I was all for his searching for a new challenge and wanting more money, but I don't think he handled it very well. Came off as quite egotistical and selfish, which surprised me.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Let's read between the lines here.
    Joe was fired. He was called to the office by Sternberg, told of the opt-out clause and told to accept it as the most graceful exit strategy possible.
    Ownership knows the value of the franchise is probably at an all-time low.

Draft saved Draft deleted