1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Carey Expert Analysis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 23, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Cashion was born in 1931. Lets get some people who aren't mumbling into their pudding in 2014.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet there was a lot of back and forth between the CBS and NFL Network suits
    today on Carey.

I would start by not having him render a decision until the one on field is announced.
    Carey can then be used to provide rule interpretation on decision.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with Carey saying what he thinks and then after the official call is made saying he believes the ref got it wrong. As I recall, he disagreed with a defensive holding non-call, too.

I'm OK with both of those.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Carey was a great ref, but I'd argue CBS isn't setting him up well at all.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I often watch the NFL without the sound these days as I have a large family that is usually around on Sundays, so I acknowledge that I may be wrong on this - but doesn't FOX primarily use Pereira to interpret calls that have been made, giving viewers analysis on the rulebook and calls that have been made, rather than predicting what the refs should call?

I feel like I remember Pereira once saying on Francesa's show that his job is not to second-guess the officials, but rather to give the viewer clarity on why calls are made the way they are and, occasionally, to correct them if there is a misinterpretation or blown call (which obviously come after a call is made).

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In the case of most replay challenges, they go to commercial anyway, so the need for a Mike Carey is pretty limited if you ask me. The ruling is announced pretty quickly after they come back from commercial. That's what made Carey's gaffe to funny on Thursday. He had to hurry to say it was a fumble, and it was just a second later that it was ruled down by contact. He had time to look at it during the commercial, but he didn't have time to really show what he was seeing when they got back from the break.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All these guys are wastes of airspace -- their function is to lick the nuts of the officiating crew and reassure us every call is right in the end. Just fucking PR bootlickers.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Except, as noted, Carey disagreed with at least two of the calls he was asked to comment on in that game alone.

9. Carey is pretty bad, maybe they could trade him to The View for Rosie O'Donnell?

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm feeling this way more and more. I'll watch any game with Al Michaels at the call but, damn, I'm sick of the "Sam Rosen Game" or the "Ian Eagle Game" littering my Sundays.

The only reason I don't turn the sound off on the NFL games that I don't have a major interest in is so that, when something big happens, I can look back at the screen from whatever else I'm doing.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You might need to throw in someone to the view.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Example of how Fox uses Pereira wisely

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira 2m2 minutes ago

Repeating what I said on-air, holding should have been called on Trufant during the 2-pt conversion. It was within a yard of the LOS

Draft saved Draft deleted