1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OceanLottery, Oct 23, 2014.

1. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Anybody have one that they really like? I need it for general reporter/editor duties. No game-playing or anything like that. Kinda want to stay away from a Mac, just b/c they're so damned costly.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Refurbished Macs aren't all that costly. I've had my MacBook Pro for like 6-7 years now. I think I paid $900 for it. Took about 30 seconds to set up out of the box and there's no need for virus protection or anything. I've found absolutely no downside to it. Best computer I've ever owned and it's not even close.

Unless your budget is of the Wal-Mart Acer variety, that's my suggestion.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

This dude needs one, too.

[​IMG]

My MacBook was great for six years, but I replaced it with an iPad with a Zagg keyboard-case and I couldn't be happier. And that was about half the price of a MacBook.

Probably not practical if you don't have another computer at home. But I've had no regrets now for two years.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Lenovo I used at the Trentonian was pretty good.

Then I got a MacBook Pro here 2 years ago and it was a charm until too much schmaltz got under the keyboard and made it impossible to use the QW line of qwerty.

I'd go with one of those two.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I also enjoy my MacBook, though I concede it was expensive at a little more than $1,000.

My feeling is that you should either invest in the quality of a laptop that will last you 5-7 years (think $1,000-$1,500 for a MacBook), or just go dirt cheap and recognize that you'll probably replace it every 2 or 3 years at best (think $300).

Spending $800 on something other than a Mac seems like a mistake to me.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Oh, I read lap dance. Carry on.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Smack it up, flip it, rub it down ... Oh no!

9. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

If you're willing to act quickly, this Toshiba C55-B5299 laptop is super cheap on Fry's website. Under $200 bucks but the price is good for today only. Definitely a lower end laptop with minimum memory, but the price is considerable less than you'll find for the same model on Amazon ($224.00), HH Gregg ($249.99), Best Buy ($281.99), Walmart ($299.70) or Office Max ($219.99).

http://www.frys.com/product/8119235?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

THere are really only two options: A 2010 or beyond MacBook Pro or a Chromebook.

Can't go wrong either way.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Don't spend a lot of money on a laptop. Keep in mind that you will inevitably drop it at least once, especially if you work on the road a lot. Get a solid-spec cheap PC model. I have had a wide variety of laptops, and the best one has been a sub-$400 Samsung. The $2000+ MacBook an employer handed me was a huge pain in the ass. They recently replaced it with a MacBook Air, which is lighter but limited. When I have real work to do, I use the Samsung.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Refurbished Macs at www.macofalltrades.com. Got my 13-inch white MacBook (circa 2007) for $250 two years ago, it's still purring along.

Draft saved Draft deleted