1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should papers from non-World Series cities send reporters to cover the game(s)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Oct 21, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Depends on the state and the popularity of the sport there, I suppose. In my neck of the woods, if it's not within 50 miles, give or take, nobody cares that much.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a stretch at all.

MLB is the bread-and-butter for a big metro and they should be sending folks to the World Series. So if preps is the main eyeball driver at smaller papers then why shouldn't they follow the metro's lead and staff it?

(Full disclosure: When I was an SE, we didn't cover state title games unless our teams were in them. We ran a scoreboard if we didn't have anybody there.)

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Surely you know that MLB has a national audience, right? Apples and oranges.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, you don't have to call him Shirley.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What's your vector, Victor?

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Non-SF, non-KC papers with seats assigned for World Series: NYT, NY Post, NY Daily News, Newsday, LA Times, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Phila Daily News, Detroit News, Denver Post, Wash Post, Milwaukee J-S, Houston Chron, Chicago Trib, Chicago Sun-Times, Toronto Star, Toronto Sun. (Not all papers are actually here.)

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Used to be. It was a big time where all the important people would gather and often start the groundwork for trades that would be completed later. Not now. A lot of GMs don't even attend. They're busy with organizational meetings, Fall League, getting ready for free agency and other things. I think MLB now forbids teams from making major announcements during the WS. The value of the Series as a gossip/news source has greatly diminished.

In addition, expanded playoffs have further distanced the WS from most MLB markets. People in Cincinnati and Seattle and Philly haven't been thinking much about baseball since the end of September.

As far as comparing it to the SB, there's really no comparison. The HOF announcements are made during SB week, and the commissioner's 'state of the NFL' media availability also takes place. For papers, the SB also makes more sense because you know when and where it will be and can make travel arrangements accordingly. For the WS, you basically don't know the cities until it's almost ready to start, you don't know if your people will have to make the return trip to the opening city, etc. The logistics are a problem. And I hear that hotel rates in SF are absolutely insane.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of the absent markets on Screwball's list, my only real surprise, and it's not much of a surprise, is that neither Dallas-Ft.Worth paper is there. I can see why the Sun and Post-Dispatch aren't. Their readers probably don't even want to think about the Series right now.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tom
    @Haudricourt
    I checked hotel rates in San Francisco and decided to sleep under cardboard box over a grate. It's still $279 a night before taxes.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

AKA "affordable housing" in SF.

Meanwhile, this gem is still on the market. Only $375,000 for this piece of shit palatial estate.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If it's a major newspaper such as The Washington Post or The New York Times, which would have a nationwide audience, yes.

If it's a smaller paper with a smaller audience, no.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Surely you know that preps can drive readership at smaller papers more than the MLB, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted