1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should papers from non-World Series cities send reporters to cover the game(s)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Oct 21, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

As would I. And it would only be a nine-year contract. But I expect to be riding it out.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's all figure out ways the Mother Fucking Bean Counters can whittle down the product a bit more, make it more completely worthless for anybody to read.

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Except the question isn't, "Is it wise to spend X dollars to staff the World Series?" The question is, "Is it wiser to spend X dollars to staff the World Series, or to use those X dollars to staff a story that has greater appeal to my paper's readership?" The easy example is sending a writer to do a in-depth profile of a local star: fly him to the subject's hometown, etc.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It makes sense to cover plenty of stuff. But it doesn't make financial sense to send a writer from Orlando to cover the World Series between the Giants and Royals. Not only does it not provide anything meaningful for the reader, it could take something away, sending someone who hasn't covered the teams at all. Not a damn thing wrong with going with AP and using your resources for something more meaningful to the readers.

And I don't know of any papers that aren't covering major beats home and away. But there have been instances where correspondents have been used for road trips late in a shitty season. Guess the thinking is that there is less interest from readers if there is no chance to compete for the playoffs or a bowl game. Can't say I disagree.

5. jr/shotglass

Greater appeal to the paper's readership? I know the World Series isn't the Super Bowl anymore, but ...

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

But most papers have other outlets to get a story from the World Series. And the writers covering it for those outlet presumably know more about the teams involved than the local writer from 800 miles away.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So should small papers be staffing state title games played a couple hundred miles away when no locals are playing?

8. Can't compete against free.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're the biggest paper in our state, and there's no way we're staffing a state title game 200 miles away if a team from our area isn't in it.

Don't see why any paper --- big or small --- would.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a stretch to compare that to the Series or NBA finals. We might not even run a graf on a state football final, depending on space, timing, etc. And we're a pretty big paper as well.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Without constant reminders, a lot of people around here would fall into denial. It's a public service.

12. jr/shotglass

Most of the finals are in our backyard, but we sure would go wherever a state final is.

Draft saved Draft deleted