1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Headlines that never should have been written

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

These headlines are good for a laugh -- but I try not to laugh too hard because of the "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" concept. Every veteran copy editor who handles a big workload has busted a few headlines and written a few stinkers over the years.

I've got a few favorites from one of my former shops, neither of which was in sports:

"Lewinsky granted broad immunity," banner headline on 1A written by the night news editor; for her effort, she received a 6:30 a.m. phone call at home from the ME.

"Big jugs, inexpensive wine mean great party," in the lifestyle section.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a great one from the 1930s in our paper on a high school football game, when one of the locals lost to the state school for the deaf:

Podunk High beaten
    by Deaf & Dumb team

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Roasted Nuts

5. One of my favorites was more about ignorance than lack of thinking it through:

Enola Homosexual Exhibit
    To Visit Museum

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Girl from the big high school here had a big night in basketball so I dropped this one:

Amber alert

Made sense to me at the time, but did not play well.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I former co-worker' headline on a team that won a softball title thanks to a pitcher's no-hitter: "No-no means yes!"
    That did not go over well. He didn't understand why a woman's rights activist was furious.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow. I don't know how that one even could have been written. I mean, Enola Gay was an airplane name.

If you didn't know what Enola was, you needed to ask -- or read it in the story? -- or look it up or otherwise clarify it for yourself.

And I doubt that one would have gotten through at all these days. It's cute and perhaps accurate in that case, but too politically incorrect and insensitive.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gee, ya think?
    By "great" I meant great in its old-timey political incorrectness. Obviously, running that now would soon be followed by a visit to careerbuilder.com.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

There was a computer program incorporated by some media that auto-corrected certain words, including changed "gay" to "homosexual" automatically, and things like this ended up happening. During the Olympics it changed sprinter Tyson Gay to Tyson Homosexual. Instead of Gay wins race, it said Homosexual wins race. I wonder if that's what happened in this instance.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Was probably an automated process that was set tp change "gay" to "homosexual."

A few years back, Tyson Gay qualified for the Olympics -- and a right-wing Christian site posted "Tyson Homosexual wins 100 meters."

12. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted