1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's basically a little longer throw than a regular throw to 1st from the hole but with the guy standing at home plate when the fielder gets the ball. No chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He couldn't have kept going. It would have been a snap throw down to third.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lets put this to rest for ever. Here is a screengrab from a reg season game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Posey could have gone and got a ham sandwich before Gordon would have arrived.

4. Dick Whitman

Thank you.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess since we have the tools to look at it all and there are no more games to play, everyone wants to break it down Zapruder-like, but it is out of hand.

The one that got me was the breakdown that Gordon should have gotten to second base faster. But if you're looking at the strategy of it, the only thing he needed to do was get to second. Everything else was unnecessary risk. It would have been different with one out, but there is no way he is chugging for third off the bat for the one-in-10,000 instance of two different outfielders making an error on the same play.

Silver's column was particularly ridiculous.

6. Dick Whitman

I guess, but, man, people need to understand what was going to happen if he went. He wasn't going. Ever. Never, ever, ever. Never.

Everything else is just World Series fan fiction.

This isn't a Nintendo game.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

To say he should have reached second faster is ridiculous too. It was a single that was misplayed to enable him to reach third. If he comes steaming around first trying to stretch that thing into a double and it's played correctly, he's either easily thrown out at second or doubled off heading back to first after too wide a turn. Gordon's baserunning can't be faulted. Third was the farthest he could get on the play, and he got there.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

C'mon, Dick, if Fernando can hit an inside-the-park bunt homer off Jimmy Key ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73JOXFD4Uos

9. Dick Whitman

Gordon made a huge mistake in the game, and it wasn't on the base paths. It was on the fly ball where Sandoval advanced to third. He got turned around and took a terrible angle on it, and wasn't in position to get the ball in quickly. It cost his team dearly, because Sandoval doesn't score on the single otherwise.

10. Dick Whitman

I'm not impressed. My kid hits inside-the-park bunt homers off me at least 10 times every weekend in the front yard.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tagging from second on routine flies to left has become a thing.

12. Dick Whitman

Maybe so. But it makes it a lot easier when the left fielder catches the ball in no position to throw.

Draft saved Draft deleted