1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Gordon had almost no chance to score.

The usual rule of thumb is does the runner get to 3rd before at just when the outfielder gets the ball; here he just got to 3rd when Crawford got the ball, just a little beyond the infield. Crawford who has a strong arm and an accurate arm would have had to make a huge blunder to miss that throw to the plate. Even coaching 3rd in LL (majors), there's almost no chance you send the runner home when the SS gets the ball there.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

His post about that is dripping in blue font. The blue man group looks like a bunch of gingers compared to that post.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wanted to see them send him, just for the thrill of it as a neutral observer, but I fully understand that holding the runner was the correct move.

That said, I think there's an argument that could be made for sending him because humans do play this game and, after the two outfield blunders, it was entirely possible that Crawford might panic and end up making a bad throw. There is plenty that can go wrong between the transfer, the throw, the catch and the tag.

Buttholes pucker.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just try to imagine some parallel universe where they send Gordon.

And try to imagine the third-base coach continuing to live in that parallel universe.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, he'd be roasted, I have no doubt. But the Royals made a living this season by being extraordinarily aggressive on the base paths.

Again, I'm not saying that sending him would have been the right move. I'm not even saying I'd have done it. But I'd understand if they did. And I'd have enjoyed the hell out of it no matter the outcome.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Only in OOPlandia is a "cause" having been followed by an "effect" in one out of the last six trials evidence of that cause's power.

7. LongTimeListener

It's MOPlandia.

8. doctorquant

You're confused on your geography ... OOPlandia and MOPistan are neighbors which recently entered into a non-aggression pact and a free trade agreement.

9. LongTimeListener

I assume both sides' main goal is to keep the Pirates out of the World Series.

10. doctorquant

Neither country does much in the way of economic measurement, but both maintain impressive dWAR archives.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Winners win

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hasn't been seen since the mods
    nuked two (more) of his political threads.

Smells like he's in the penalty box.

Draft saved Draft deleted