1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When the WS started, I thought that the Giants had a huge advantage with Bochy > Yost. However, as the series went on, more and more I thought it was less of an advantage because Yost seemed to be confident, engaging, and loose. In turn, it seemed the Royals followed his lead, to their benefit. I really enjoyed how Yost, after the Gm. 4 loss, said he was always looking forward to a Gm. 7.

I took the easy way out when the Royals hired Yost, "oh another retread, good luck with that." Guess I was wrong (Yeah, I said the same thing about Bochy when he became a Giant). Enjoy KC fans, and to Mr. Yost, congrats to a great season.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I liked his postgame interview on Fox, too. Most of the managers give pretty rote answers and are understandably glum. He seemed pretty candid, gave some honest praise to Bumgarner and the Giants, and was upbeat. Seemed like he understood the big picture already -- that it sucks to get that close and not win, but the Royals had a hell of a year and just happened to run into one of the best big-game pitchers of this generation when he was on top of his game. Not much you can do but tip your cap and appreciate the ride and what it meant to a long-suffering fan base.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Winners don't lose 3 games in the post season.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Huh, who woulda thunk it? A team that's not even at the 80th percentile payroll-wise wins it all. Just goes to show you, money can't buy love or World Series championship banners.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The 2009 Yankees are leading the chorus of laughter at your expense.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Someone put a stopwatch on Gordon. He was dogging it to first, which probably cost him the chance to go for it at home.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL ...

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's harsh. By all rights he should've had just a single. It wasn't until the ball got past Blanco that it was go time, and he didn't seem to be dogging it from first to third. He never broke stride. He got what he should've gotten on that play.
    Not sending him might haunt some Royals fans, but it's going to be revisionist history to suggest he should've been sent or could've made it home -- especially since it's based on the assumption that the Giants would completely screw up a pretty simple throw that they wouldn't have had to rush. The outfielders made two bad plays, but Crawford was in a perfect position to set his feet, make a great throw, and nail Gordon by 40 feet.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good. You are learning to laugh at yourself. Glad you could join us.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nate Silver keeps writing about the Gordon triple assuming that he had a 30 percent chance of scoring.

I would say he had less than a 5 percent chance, no? Maybe less than 2.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/send-alex-gordon/

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Is that what he's saying? My (admittedly quick) read is he's saying he should have tried to score if he had a 30% chance or better, not that he did have a 30% chance.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Can't tell if you forgot the blue font.

Koufax lost once in the 1959 WS. He gave up one earned run in 9 innings.

Koufax lost once in the 1965 WS. He had an 0.38 ERA. He gave up one earned run.

Koufax lost once in the 1966 WS. He had a 1.50 ERA. The game he lost, Willie Davis made three errors in F, leading to three unearned runs.

He had a career 0.95 WS ERA.

Koufax controlled the other team's offense. Unfortunately for him he could do nothing about the Dodgers' anemic offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted