1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What made you think so at the time? Seems like an easy thing to say now, hindsight being 20/20.

2. Dick Whitman

Here's a question I've been contemplating since last night:

If the Royals ended up winning the game, would Bumgarner still have won the Series MVP award? He would have had to have given up the tying or winning run for that to happen, and I'm sure many people would have had difficulty voting for a guy who did that. But I feel like, even in the worst-case scenario in which Perez hits a home run right there to win it and join Mazerowski, Fisk, Gibson, and Carter on that particular Mt. Rushmore, Bumgarner is the MVP of the Series.

Thoughts?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

From a lifelong Dodger: Mazel tov, Giants!

3 in 5 years.

And for all of the hemming and hawing and hard blue fontlery here re: SABR and clutch and the hee-haw of it all, Madison Bumgarner is the greatest pitcher ever to perform in the World Series. A little piece of me wanted him to crash and burn in the worst possible way in bottom-9 but only in the sense that not failing would solidify his status as greatest ever. Big, bouncing balls is what he has. Yeah, he gave up a single-turned-triple. Tying run 90 feet away. Bottom-9. 50,000 psychos screaming in your ears. And you coolly get the next guy to hit a foul pop to clinch the World Series.

3 rings by 25 may not impress some.

But 0.25 don't lie.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Finally on here for the first time. Congrats to LTL, qtlaw, cjericho and anyone else I've missed. The Giants are worthy, classy champions. Bumgarner was magnificent. Hell of a Series.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bochy also took two different teams to the World Series (lest we forget the 1998 Padres), which further cements his Hall status.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I need to see his World Series xFIP before I know if I'm impressed. *Maybe* I'll accept SIERA.

7. Dick Whitman

Imagine if Yost had taken out Perez after the HBP and some other asshole was batting in the ninth and popped out.

That was have been fun.

8. Songbird

Also want to throw out a big Thank You to exmediahack for his touching storyline here and say congrats to SJ's Royals fans. Y'all had a hardworking, competent, fun, thrilling team that fell just short after 243 outs. No shame in losing to what amounts to be a modern dynasty. It took the greatest World Series performer of all time to keep your team from taking the crown. It's kind of funny, that the Yostiest thing EVER would have been to send Gordon around to see what happens at home. I think any real baseball fan was quietly thrilled with the prospect of a game-tying inside-the-parker.

Either way, and to echo another here, it's impossible to root against these Royals.

I wish there were more homers but it was a memorable World Series.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

KC's backup catcher (Erik Kratz) was the only player on either roster who didn't appear in the World Series.

10. Songbird

And let's not forget the little guys like Joe Panik. Never has to buy a beer in San Fran again.

[​IMG]

@BBTN 49s .@JoePanik made the play of #WorldSeries in the third inning of #Game7, writes @jimcaple. http://es.pn/1yISgm9

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How I wish I was a MLB pitcher with just nominal talent. Facing 99% idiot batters with crazy long swings and a complete lack of fear of striking out, makes a glorified junkballer such as Bumgartner look like Sandy Koufax. It used to be you needed two outstanding pitchers to win it all, SF ran out three straight arms with losing records and still won, barely. That's all we need to know about the decrepitude of baseball specifically and pro sports in general, when any average team can claim a title. This from a diehard baseball fan.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted