1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Where's the goddamn like button?

Fantastic story. Lucky you wound up at Game 2 instead of Game 1.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Very nice story. Worth watching the Giants lose. :) Actually I think it wouldn't bother me very much to see the Royals win this one. It would be great for baseball.

I do have one question:

Those people just ate a $1,000 ticket? Wowsers. What happened there?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As I drop him off at the airport, Dad says, "let's do this for Game 6," with a wry, Harrison Ford-like grin. Then he pauses and says he's kidding and walks into the airport.

For that group that ate the ticket, they were season-ticket holders so they paid... a lot less than we paid. :) No, make that a lot less than the old man paid. I only paid gas. Now about to drive back home with a kid who will probably sleep the 6 hours from KC to home.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thanks to you for sharing this very uplifting story. I'm so glad it went well.

By the way, you could probably write a really neat magazine article -- maybe even a book -- on this. It could be encouragement for all fathers and sons who have struggled to have a good relationship. It reminds me a little bit of the scene near the end of The Rookie with Jim Morris and his dad.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ex, great story; I hope to someday recreate with my boys and their kid(s).

Unfortunately for you, I'm rooting for that to be the last baseball game in KC for 2014.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hey, the Royals can close it out at AT&T, too.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think the Royals close it out in 5. I hope the Royals close it out in 6.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Nah, for the Royals to win in 5 they will have to beat Bumgarner at some point. It can happen especially since Bum is worse at home than on the road, but it's going to be hard. His only loss at home in the postseason this year was a bad throw to third against the Nationals. And Shields was just so bad in Game 1 (on top of not being great at all this postseason)

If the Royals win Game 3, this is going at least six. If the Giants win Game 3, I'm not so sure this gets out of San Fran. Vogelsong/Petit may help end this thing early.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Giants do not look like they are ever going to touch the Royals' back three. They're going to have to score early and hold on for dear life.

I was a little surprised Bochy didn't fire the Petit bullet yesterday, but a couple of writers noted that Petit doesn't like coming in with runners on base. Also with a 1-0 series lead it didn't have the feel of desperation, and the likelihood was that they were going to need him for any one of Games 2, 3 and 4.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I believe Bochy was thinking getting out of KC with a split was not the end of the world. He could see what his two struggling relievers—Machi and Strickland—had with the knowledge he was going home for three. He also knows that he needed Petit to bail out Vogey in Game 4 for the LCS and he may need him to stop the bleeding in Game 3 if Hudson gets in trouble (losing Game 3 will be a knock down blow for the Giants). It wasn't a bad decision to wait.

Also, Neshek owned the Giants until Game 5 when Morse finally got his timing. The more the Giants see the pen, the more likely they will find an answer. Not saying they will, just throwing it out there.

I've said all along, the key to winning the series is jumping on the Royals starters because those are the guys who have looked the most vulnerable of the staff. It was the recipe for three out of four games when the Giants beat Detroit in 2012: They jumped on the starters and kept the ball out of the closer's hand.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Meh, they have an off day. Petit should have been able to thrown an inning last night and be ready for Game 3 with little issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted