1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Lucky for him, he won't be facing Bryce Harper :D.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lincecum missed the pregame introductions. "I just wasn't down there in time and didn't want to go out late. I was just in here (the clubhouse)"

He's full weirdo. Big price tag for next year but I wonder if they'll eat it.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize until just now how uncompetitive the World Series has been in recent years. Over the past 11 seasons, it's only reached six games three times and it's only reached seven once (2011, Cardinals/Rangers).

4. LongTimeListener

The stat they flashed last night that the Game 1 winner has won 10 of 11 Series was pretty shocking.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I missed that, but yeah, that's a pretty surprising. You'd expect the Game 1 winner to have an edge, maybe along the lines of 7-4, but that's a massive disparity.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I missed it. What happened?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So... somehow the NCAA is saying that the MoNe Davis Chevy commercial is copacetic. How on earth?

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yes, that is essentially what I'm getting at. Shields having 10 days did him no favors. Now this next game both pitchers will have similarly long rest, so we'll see what happens.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing because she won't play baseball?

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's my guess. The Jeremy Bloom rule.

11. LongTimeListener

NCAA specifically said she would also be eligible to play baseball.

"The NCAA staff's decision was made within this process and based on a combination of considerations," James said in the statement. "This waiver narrowly extends the rules -- which allow Davis to accept the payment and still be eligible in any other sport -- to include baseball. The NCAA staff also considered the historically limited opportunities for women to participate in professional baseball. In addition, Davis is much younger than when the vast majority of the prospect rules apply. While this situation is unusual, the flexible approach utilized in this decision is not."

I mean, I couldn't give a crap less about the NCAA's stupid rules, but now they're just making it up as they go along.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just now? They've been making it up as they go along, haven't they?

Draft saved Draft deleted