1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Chapel Hill was the first town I'd ever seen a combination bar/laundromat. It's about the only thing I remember from that trip in 1987.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Meh. It's alright and acceptable. It doesn't knock out the Ski Towns I mentioned.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Asheville
    Nashville
    San Antonio
    Olympia, Wa.
    Luckenbach

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This times a thousand. My parents and I used to take a fall vacation there every year when we lived near the mountains. It's gorgeous. Go in late September-early October and watch the aspens turn. Also, if you're a fan of hiking or other outdoors-y type things, there is a lot to do in Red River. (Just don't do what my mom did on our last trip. We were on our first hike after going up one of the ski lifts and she fell and broke her leg. About all we saw of the Enchanted Circle was the inside of an Urgent Care in Taos.)

Others I'll add to the list/second: Kansas City, San Antonio, Minneapolis. Spent Fourth of July in St. Louis years back and absolutely loved it. Denver. If you're looking for a vacation in April/October, go to Lexington, Ky. and check out Keeneland and then take a drive down the Bourbon Trail.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Speaking of Colorado: Salida.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Santa Cruz
    Asheville
    Charleston SC
    NOLA
    San Diego
    Pinehurst NC
    Two places I need to re-visit -- San Francisco and Monterey.
    Salt Lake City was much better than I anticipated. Same with Minneapolis and Pittsburgh.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You jogged my memory about Pittsburgh. Wildly underrated city. Great food, easy to get around and sports-crazy.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like em all. I was just kidding you that they really were not cities. I have a softspot
    for Steamboat in late March for spring skiing. Still great snow at top and nice cold
    beer at some of trailside bars in late afternoon and then stumble over to The Tugboat
    for rest of evening.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Madison's Farmer's Market is must-visit.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Only spent part of a day in Boulder but had a good time. Will hopefully get back there again soon for added Q-time.

I also enjoy Fort Fun/Loveland/Longmont - great beer scene there. A buddy is part-owner of a newer brewery up there, and he told me six or seven of his homebrewing club each opened places within a two-year period (this was about 3-5 years back). Many of these are now GABF medal-winners, lots of brewing talent in that area.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are an enormous number of U.S. cities and towns that are fun to visit, but if I was advising a foreign tourist coming here for the first and probably last time, I'd say he'd have to see New York, New Orleans, LA and San Francisco. Chicago and Miami if he could fit them in between visits to scenic wonders.
    Boston is a great tourist destination, but it's not a bucket list destination.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Technically, it's not in the U.S., but San Juan is a great city to visit.

Draft saved Draft deleted