1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Might be a longshot. But if Harbaugh is really sick of the NFL and NFL players' attitude, he might be open to a change, especially at his alma mater where alums and recruits alike would hang on every word.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dabo Swinney went on a long rant not-exactly-but-almost denying he was interested in the Florida job.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/dabo-swinney-comments-florida-job/

Mike Gundy seems to be the hot name right now.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/22/7269111/florida-coaching-search-mike-gundy-rumors

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Virginia fan on the couch next to me isn't exactly sure how she feels about the increasing possibility the Cavs pull this out tonight, beat Virginia Tech next week and London keeps his job.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He was one of the names mentioned a lot when Muschamp got the job. I don't think anyone knows who interviewed that time around because Muschamp's hiring was so far off everyone's radar.

Gundy would be interesting, but didn't he just get a huge boost after he turned down the Tennessee job? I've read a few things that seem to indicate he's not totally happy there.

Foley has to hire a big name here. I don't think he wants to be in a situation where he has to sell the boosters on someone like Jim McElwain or the UL-Lafayette coach, not that either of them would be bad hires.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I get the sense Harbaugh's bigger issues are with management than with players, but it might be across the board.

But, again, when was the last time a successful NFL coach left for a college job?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The 49ers would be nuts to fire him. But if Jimmy Johnson can get fired or quit after winning consecutive Super Bowls, I suppose anything is possible.

7. Steak Snabler

Gundy's on the verge of going 5-7 this year, but if it's offense Foley wants, Gundy can definitely provide that.

8. Steak Snabler

It's got nothing to do with performance, but with the fact that most everyone he works for (and many who work for him) hate his guts.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

As much as I'd love to see Steve Spurrier go back for 1-2 years, I doubt it will happen. David Cutcliffe?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One way or another, I would rate the chances of Harbaugh coming back to the 49ers next year as no better than 50/50, especially if they miss the playoffs.

What makes the Michigan job a little hard is I expect they would want to name someone in early December and I doubt Harbaugh would bail the way Bobby Petrino did with the Falcons a few years ago.

11. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

With 4 star Detroit RB Mike Weber decomitting today, Michigan is down to 7 commits for next season. They currently have the 70th rated class in the country. WESTERN Michigan has the 62nd rated class. They are on the brink of essentially skipping a full recruiting cycle. They can't afford to wait on ANYONE......

12. Steak Snabler

If it's the right guy, might as well punt a recruiting class and wait.

Alabama hired Nick Saban on January 3.

Draft saved Draft deleted