1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't blame anyone for wanting to get as far away from that place as possible.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I can't see Mississippi State ever firing Dan Mullen, barring NCAA trouble. Like Frank Beamer at Va Tech and Steve Spurrier at South Carolina, he's made a national contender out of a program with little-to-no history of being that (and that's being generous).

He's there for life if he wants to be. Just not sure he does.

3. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay in Starkvegas for any extended period of time, but being a legend there is probably better than rebuilding in Gainesville. I think Florida is a much bigger mess than people think.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

South Carolina is a national contender?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not this year, but they won 11 games and finished in the Top 10 three straight years from 2011-13 (including No. 4 last year).

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To me, Brandon not taking action against Hoke following the Morris concussion (unless you count the 1 a.m. press release) really screws Michigan. It gives more than enough reason, especially considering the other stuff he's done, for Brandon to be fired. I don't think it would surprise anyone if Hoke gets fired, whether it be by Brandon on the way out the door or someone else. But then you'd have two big hires to make at the same time, which could make ideal candidates a bit nervous.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Leach has certainly brought some excitement back to WAZZU, but I'm still not entirely sold on him being worth the salary he's getting. Some of the decisions he makes are puzzling. Exciting, yes, but not always in a good way.
    That said, he's a known national name with a strong offensive reputation. The school just opened its $61 million football operations building and AD Bill Moos is willing to do whatever it takes to make the program successful. Leach and his assistants got nice raises last year just for returning the Cougs to .500 again, so I have a hard time seeing him wanting to go anywhere.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I wonder if recruiting would be easier for him at KU, because he's probably have a better shot at Texas kids than he does in Pullman.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Supposedly he's blacklisted in the Big 12. The league office doesn't want him hired after suing a member school.

10. RecoveringJournalist

That would not surprise me for a second.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You'd wanna' leave too if your town was full of gangbangers, goons and morons.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Trying not to sound like a fanboi doofus, but barring a family / health issue......there's simply no way he leaves. Went 24-2, with players that (while top notch) simply weren't recruited for his system, had just finished a 6-7 season & dealing with sanctions. Did that while redshirting the vast majority of two Top 5 recruiting classes.

Team this year is a bumpy 6-1, but playing 30+ frosh / sophs on the 2 deep. They're learning a completely new defense. It is, by leaps and bounds, the "worst" team he'll have in a very long time. Oh, he's in a conference that pretty much stinks. Going nowhere.......

Draft saved Draft deleted