1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Any chance in hell Urban goes anywhere? Are there greener pastures than B10?

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Actually that was his Zook's first recruiting class in 2002-03. Leak was junior when Urban got a hold of him in the 2005 season.

And I said they had a pretty good defense hence Nelson, Everett, Thomas, Moss etc. were there. Crowder was gone by the time Urban got there. Webb left after Urban's first year. They had no significant parts to run Urban's spread offense until Tebow and Harvin arrived in 2006. Jackson left after Urban's first year.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Realistically, I think the only place Urban would leave Ohio State for would be the NFL.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So does Muschamp take his buyout and go party with the beautiful people in the South of France? DC at another school? To me, what he ends up doing is as interesting as who replaces him.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt it. OSU is probably the one B1G school which will not allow itself to get outbid by the SEC for a football coach (although Nebraska would be a possiblity if they thought their coach was irreplaceable; Pelini may not fit that description. I suppose if LSU comes open they might make a run at him).

Meyer's got a pretty sweet setup in Columbus. OSU seems to be having a down year right now, and they probably are, but they're 5-1 and very much alive in the NC race. If they beat Sparty and win the B1G title game, they're in the mix. From all reports he gets along fine with the administration.

The talent stockpile is pretty thick; no reason they'll be taking any huge dump in peformance anytime soon. The competition in the B1G East seems pretty manageable; I don't think too many people expect MSU to remain a perrennial top-5 contender for too many seasons, and U-M and PSU both face rebuilding jobs.

Pretty much anyplace Meyer might jump would be a worse situation.

6. No way..
    Like Starman said Urban has the best gig in college football right now.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I dunno about "THE" best, but certainly one of the half-dozen best, and certainly unlikely to get outbid on a monetary basis.

Ultimately I suppose Meyer might be tempted by the NFL, but then his past health problems could come into play -- if pressure at Florida was tough for him to handle, it would be a lot tougher in the NFL.

Certainly there's a lot of pressure to win in Columbus, but I don't think Meyer will get strung up in a tree if he doesn't make the NC playoffs every other year. Although if he starts going 9-4 or something...

8. RecoveringJournalist

I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon, but IF he leaves, I think it would only be for the NFL.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I think Meyer is more likely to leave coaching altogether for health reasons than leave Ohio State for another job.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Call me cynical, but I didn't believe that health bullshit for a second as the reason he left Florida. I believe he had health issues. I just don't believe that was the reason he left.

He tried to leave, got pulled back and then finally left. I think he played up whatever he had to to get out of there. And he didn't stay away too long, did he?

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It was more family and mental health (with the former causing the latter) than physical health.

The Meyers had to get the fuck out of Gainesville. Period.

Draft saved Draft deleted