1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Jan Hooks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Seems like a good place to put this ...

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/deuce-bigalow-european-gigolo-2005

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'll give Tina that one. Schneider is a clown act.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, Schneider is a clown act. But what's that saying?

As I said, Fey is only diminishing herself here.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's funny because everywhere I've seen it, people are laughing.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You're the last person I would doubt on something like this ... but can you cite?

And I do think tony has a valid point here. She could honor Hooks without dragging someone else down in the same breath. Just sayin' it's kinda cheap for Fey.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jay Mohr made a big deal in his book about the fact that Schneider was a huge asshole to him an others on the writing staff while he was at SNL.

Schneider randomly attacked Al Franken on some talk show (The View, I think?) calling him a whore and a selfish asshole. I know Tina thinks a lot of Franken.

He called Patrick Goldstein a "scumbag" and wished that he'd be "beaten beyond recognition" after his review of Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, which is what prompted that Ebert review posted earlier. He called Ebert and asshole after his review, then said that he'd heard Ebert was terrible to the people he works with. (Untrue.)

He's repeatedly received criticism from other comics for his lame ethnic stereotyping in his roles, even though he lectured Hollywood in a Variety ad after the Mel Gibson-drunken-anti-Semitic-rant thing, saying as a "half-Jew" he'd never work with the man again, and oh-by-the-way, go see his new movie.

He picked a fight with two radio hosts during some lame promotional appearance, mostly because he was furious he had to wait 15 minutes to be interviewed, then ended up claiming during the shouting match "I can buy and sell people like you."

It's not a coincidence that Trey Parker and Matt Stone wrote an episode featuring a running gag with Schneider and called it "The Biggest Douche In The Universe."

He's also one of these very outspoken anti-vaccine nut jobs, compared it to Nazi Germany, and has bitched that he wasn't more successful in Hollywood because he's a Republican, both of which I'm sure make Tina's head explode.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I get that Schneider is a jag-off of epic proportions. That's still not how you build up Jan Hooks if your actual intention is to build up Jan Hooks.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That there's good citin'.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's good stuff, DD.

Schneider was probably an asshole to Jan Hooks, too.
    Tina's smart enough to know exactly what she's saying.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Men Behaving Badly was really funny show though.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think it's hilarious how indignant and angry Scheider was when the critics panned European Gigolo. What was he expecting, did he honestly think that was a good movie?

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That was a funny show.

Draft saved Draft deleted