1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Columnist - Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That's part of the new Gannett structure with columnists, especially when sites don't have a traditional SE. Someone to help the newer folks along, because, generally, columnists are pretty in touch with the community and paper they work for and have good experience in the field.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Nat Newell is a good, good dude. Knew him years ago when he was in South Carolina.

3. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

Alas, no. My bread isn't buttered by Gannett. And not necessarily taking any sides, here. Just pointing out that, in the "newsroom of the future," his role might not be exactly what a lot of people think it is.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

The person now overseeing sports has ties to Cincy, and that's exactly where I would set my sights: On Doc. He's great. He's Gannett.
    He would bring instant credibility and create quite the competition with Kravitz.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who would Doc leave Cincinnati to go to another Gannett paper in Indy? He is very good, though.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Not saying or suggesting he would or anybody is even remotely considering it. Only that I would make it incredibly tempting. I'd throw Kravitz money at him, in other words. I'm a fan.
    There aren't many guys who can walk in an immediately have credibility in a new market. He is one.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How much does this gig pay, would you guys estimate?

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Unless he took a pay cut recently, which at Gannett is always possible, Kravitz was one of the better-paid columnists in the country, not at the level of the LA/NYC/Chicago/DC guys, but probably in the top 10 of the rest of the group. Indy did a full-court press to lure him away from the Rocky Mountain News and that was in the final days when newspapers actually spent money.

I seem to remember a couple bigger markets coming after him and he stayed. Who knows if that was about $$$ or not?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Total guess with no intel whatsoever would be $65-70k. Maybe I'm low. But I can't imagine they'd pay what Kravitz made at his peak (i.e., before Gannett pay cuts and such).

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think that is way low.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd guess WAAAAY low.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Kravitz was probably making $100,000, or maybe more. I wonder if he was hired before Gannett took over.

Who is overseeing sports now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.