1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jags fans rejoice! You can watch them lose from home!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Sep 30, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Per the FCC, it evolved when distribution became more than just your aunt's rabbit ears ...

Makes a bit more sense to me now.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Am I wrong to infer that, though the FCC has scrubbed its blackout rules, the NFL is still free to negotiate blackouts into its rights contracts with the networks?

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Correct. And those rules are in place in contracts already...so nothing actually changes. The FCC basically is just washing their hands of the situation.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Indeed, it seems little will change, at least in the short term.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/30/fcc-eliminates-nfl-blackout-rules/16480131/

This just means that the blackouts can't be blamed on the FCC.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is the insane part. At least the NFL has a relatively small radius around the home city (50 or 70 miles, I believe). MLB makes no damn sense:

[​IMG]

There's areas 500 miles from a home city that get blacked out. Iowa, which doesn't even have a pro team in any sport, is dark for half the league (the Chicago teams, Kansas City, Minnesota, Milwaukee and St. Louis). Same with Utah and New Mexico.
    There's a reason those people want to get the Extra Innings package.
    I get that there are regional cable deals, but there's no Red Zone Channel for MLB. You're still getting commercials and watching the same feeds. It makes no damn sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Why so sure? In an era of billion-dollar franchise valuations, what's another $100 million? That, as I understand it, is the buyout cost for the iron-clad lease. Doesn't seem like such a huge obstacle in context.

Wretched market. And yet another municipality in an area that claims to espouse the alleged values of the Tea Party yet quickly ponies up $63 million in public cash for a scoreboard. And then goes back to claiming the sanctity of fiscal responsibility with no public recriminations.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nobody is building a stadium in LA for the Jags.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

facts can be your friend. Shad Khan put up $43 million. The city financed the other 20 with an increase in the bed tax that is, by law, allowed to be used only for sports and entertainment. Jax taxpayers are not shelling out a dime for the improvements to the stadium. I know khan is loaded but is he going to sink $43 million into the stadium and move to LA in three years? Get real.
    More facts: Jacksonville elected a black Democrat three years ago who is favored to win another term. Tea Party candidates are making little headway in local elections.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that Khan doesn't plan to move the Jags, and as poin said they wouldn't move the needle in LA anyway ... but if that were on the table, a lost $43 million investment won't stop that train for one second.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Wow. The blackout zones for the Royals and Cardinals in the Jopin/Pittsburg market don't make sense. The Kansas side is served by Fox Sports Kansas City and never gets Cardinals games. The Missouri side is served by Fox Sports Midwest and only gets the Royals when the Cardinals aren't playing. But if you look at that map, the blackout zones appear to based on the opposite of that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Bills sold for just north of a billion. Let's say that it cost 800 million for a stadium in LA and 100 million to move them. Add those up and you get two billion dollars.

Which is the sales price of the Clippers. I think I would prefer the only NFL franchise in LA rather than the number two NBA team in LA.

And I would also own my own stadium which I could rent out for some additional revenue streams.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If the last few decades are any example, nobody is building a stadium in LA for any franchise.

Draft saved Draft deleted