1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP reporter tweets Raiders coach fired, except he wasn't

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I already use Google News as a content aggregator.

I've seen enough things go wrong on Twitter, and seen enough media executives say "Tweet it out and we can always correct it later," and enough reporters agree with that philosophy, that I don't want any part of it.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For all of that, Twitter can be (usually is) a very funny place.

#Sharknado was some of the funniest shit I've ever read. Award ceremonies, big games, SOTU, etc etc, bring out our collective sense of humor, and it's a good and warped sense of humor.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It is entertaining. I do enjoy combing through it on big events. I check my favorite reporters' accounts whenever I need/want to know something. The Ned Yost tweets last night were a riot.

It just has no bearing on an individual journalist's or a newspaper's survival, is all.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Already noted -- it doesn't specify whether it means the first time in any winner-take-all or simply the first time in one of these wild-card winner-take-all games.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess that's fair. I was still on the catcher thing, I think.

I took "winner-take-all game" to mean any postseason Game 5 or 7 or wildcard play-in game, but that's probably just because I've heard MLB Network use the term this week a few times talking about the A's struggles in "winner-take-all games," and then provide context for what they mean by that.

Yeah, it's a fair argument that 140 characters can introduce confusion.

6. Songbird

This'll please MC: @fivethirtyeight sent a corrected tweet.

@FiveThirtyEight 9s Rochester and Wichita: Data for your cities was wrong in a chart we tweeted. We've fixed it: http://53eig.ht/10lu79I

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Speaking of Twitter, one its more interesting lights was extinguished as Wright Thompson nuked his account.

My guess on the why is it would be one helluva story.

8. Songbird

That dude crushed Wright's spirit with the tweet about his dad.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Wright Thompson rarely made any goddamn sense on Twitter.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Funny that in the discussion of Twitter as a source of information, that wild card post required Google searches and a debate over what it really meant. I like Twitter fine and find I'm using it more and more. But it is really hit or miss on what you can trust.

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Side question: What percent of your site's traffic comes from Twitter?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bourbon!!! Grandpappy!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted