1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP reporter tweets Raiders coach fired, except he wasn't

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Add up the entire value that every Twitter entity follow has earned from your loyalty in that whole time.

It won't be more than five bucks.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How much time does the average person devote to Twitter every day?

If I followed Twitter to the extent described here, I literally would not have time to do anything else. Ever.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It depends. I'm no longer in the biz so I have more time here in the gallery even though I write 2-3-4 "stories" a day for our Facebook page.

But there's a lot of downtime too so to fill the void I like to scroll the world.

I'd like to think reporters or web editors can figure out ways to give themselves 2-3 minutes at a time throughout the day to scroll their feeds.

4. Songbird

Ever?

[​IMG]

MLB .@SalvadorPerez15 - 1st catcher ever with #walkoff hit in winner-take-all #postseason game. http://atmlb.com/1vx0WLf

I clicked the link thinking it would have a story to answer my question. It went to a video instead, which is fine, because I was asleep by then. Even if it didn't answer my exact question, it's a nice piece of information. My exact question: ever in a wild-card or division winner-take-all, or ever in *any* winner-take-all, World Series included.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. MisterCreosote

That's a very nice piece of shittily reported information.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Begs to differ (though he was technically a pinch-hitter)

7. Songbird

And there's your fog of war. Catcher yes. Or was he just a "pinch-hitter" in that moment?

Your point stands, though.

8. MisterCreosote

So, it's a full 12-plus hours after that tweet and we still don't have answers to the routine questions that used to be resolved during the editing process? And, that's a good thing?

9. Songbird

Who makes that decision?

He made 12 appearances for the Braves in 1992. The first 11 times was as pinch-hitter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=cabrefr01&t=b&year=1992

In the 12th appearance he replaced catcher Damon Berryhill in top-6. The game ended after 6 innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ATL/ATL199210030.shtml

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that in the 1992 NLCS Game 7, Francisco Cabrera was a "pinch-hitter" with a 2-RBI single.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He was a pinch-hitter in that game, not a catcher. It doesn't matter if he had 700 plate appearances that season, all while catching. In that game, he was a pinch-hitter.

11. MisterCreosote

Isn't proper reporting supposed to answer more questions than it raises, or did I mishear during my journalism training?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But the tweet in question is correct.

So how do we know it wasn't edited/reported ahead of time?

Draft saved Draft deleted