1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Boston Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 24, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Boston Herald is seeking an innovative, dynamic editor to lead its talented and ambitious sports department. The successful candidate will have a proven record of editorial leadership in a fast-paced newsroom environment and the ability to demonstrate and implement a vision for enhanced multimedia coverage of everything from major league sports to high school athletics. Extensive knowledge of Boston's sports teams a must. Candidates must have three to five years of previous daily journalism experience. Resumes and supporting materials can be sent to heraldposting@gmail.com. No phone calls please. EEO.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1610565

2. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

So does anyone know what the deal is with the Herald these days? Are they in a slow, death spiral or would this be a place to consider?

3. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

The Herald is in a good spot as far as I know.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd echo that. There were a few rough years, but it looks like Herald and Globe have stabilized and are pretty well read in that region.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Didn't Hank Hryniewicz used to be the SE there? what happened to him?

6. mark.emery.1018

mark.emery.1018 New Member

On Sept. 22, he tweeted: "It's time for a new adventure. After 25 years, I'm saying good bye to the Herald. I'm grateful for the folks who have shared the wild ride."

https://twitter.com/HankWH/status/514255670921936896

7. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

So today was Hank's last day. I didn't realize it was his spot. So it's the managing sports editor position.

8. bostonlocal10

bostonlocal10 New Member

Any update on this?

9. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

They still haven't hired anyone. It's likely that the deputy sports editor gets moved up and this posting would be for that position. But I could be wrong.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sean Leahy, formerly of The Boston Globe, is the new SE.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sean was a senior sports producer at Boston.com, I believe. Sounds like a decent hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted