1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, San Antonio Express-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Flip Wilson, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I saw this today on Journalism Jobs:

http://bit.ly/1sVytv3

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Who left?

3. batts

batts Member

Haven't been on here in a long while, but Doug Pils, outing alert -- that's me, is leaving to help run the Student Media Department at Texas A&M. I'll be advising the students working for the newspaper, website and yearbook and helping run the business side of things. I'll be here through the end of October.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Are you going to advise them to choose a different career?

gravehunter likes this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That's at least two sports editors from big metro dailies who have left for academia in the last few months.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

This is still a solid gig in a sports-crazy town, with a hardworking staff, but there has been some retrenchment. The Cowboys are no longer a full-time beat, and the Texas A&M beat has been absorbed by the sister Houston Chronicle. The E-N doesn't plan to cover the Spurs training camp in Europe, and other travel has been reduced. And in a region with considerable high school interest http://nyti.ms/1xpR49k, the prep staff has had some diminished resources as well.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Posted again: http://www.journalismjobs.com/job-listings/1610571

The San Antonio Express-News is seeking a Sports Editor to direct coverage across platforms, with particular focus on driving enterprise and developing the compelling narrative stories that sports generate in abundance, on and off the field. Equally important is the ability to inspire the staff to break news, spot trends and establish dominance in our marquee beats – the defending NBA champion Spurs and the University of Texas, the richest program in college sports.

A successful candidate must recognize that creating an immersive online experience is essential to our coverage, and needs to exhibit a mastery of social media and digital journalism, including overseeing the production of digital programs. That said, a candidate needs old-school editing and production skills. An understanding of sports business is helpful, too, now that San Antonio has become the nation’s seventh-largest city and public officials are aggressively pursuing MLS and NFL franchises.

So what about the city? The environment in San Antonio is like its people, warm and wonderful. It's pleasant most of the year, with only a handful of days below freezing or above 100, and cost of living is envied by journalists in other major cities. If you want to get away for a weekend, the Gulf Coast or Mexico are just two hours away. And a quiet drive to historic German towns in the beautiful Texas Hill Country is less than an hour away.

If you have Sports editing experience, as well as vision and enthusiasm for the future of our industry, and if you’d like to be part of one of the most diverse newsrooms in America, and one of the fastest-growing, dynamic areas of the country, you should consider improving your life by joining the Express-News.

Send cover letter and resume with references to:

Dino Chiecchi
    Administrative Editor
    San Antonio Express-News
    P.O. Box 2171
    San Antonio, TX 78297-2171

Or call (210) 250-3501 or email at dchiecchi@express-news.net

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A year ago, I would have been on this with both feet. I like that area of the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted