1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Ray Rice story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The teams that get the reputation of "well-run franchise" seem to have a lot more to do with how well they use the draft and free agency to build the team and don't have a lot of coaching turnover. With those teams, "character issues" are often easy to overlook or dismiss.

Let's not forget Rice isn't the first Raven to be accused of a crime against a woman. Terrell Suggs may not have been arrested or charged, but the protective order his then-girlfriend filed for in 2011 makes you wonder.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

perhaps well run because they know how to keep things on the down low

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think some of that comes from having a volatile head coach who might not be the favorite of some of the veterans. I think the Giants dealt with that a bit at times during Coughlin's tenure.

There are some who think the Packers are about to implode.

But winning cures all, but it's always fascinating to see a franchise that has been successful unravel for whatever reason.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In any business, you prove yourself by how you deal with problems. In this light, the Ravens have not fared well at all.

When things are going well, it's easy to assume it's because the people in charge are doing a great job. Let me know how they do when the shit hits the fan.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, this hurts ESPN's story a little.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/23/espn-addresses-text-message-mishap-in-ravens-story/

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Odd decision to paraphrase the wording of the texts. They seem bad enough as is.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's Bill Simmons daring ESPN to penalize him for what he says about Roger Goodell:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/espns-bill-simmons-goes-off-on-roger-goodell-such-fcking-bullsht/

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Call me cynical but I accept nothing that happens at ESPN at face value.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Simmons, in general, just bores me anymore.

10. AD

AD Active Member

incredibly tough guy, sitting in a studio. hey bill: break a story, like, ever...then start posturing on how macho you are.

the poseurs in this business are barely stomachable, at this point. he's calling out roger? who gives a fuck? SHOW me how he's a liar. don't tell me how you feel. don't give me your 'take.'

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why didn't he tell us how terrible Goodell was before all of this broke?

It's like the Tiger Woods story -- or any number of other stories. Everyone is now telling how bad these guys are.

That's pretty easy once the dam has broken.

12. AD

AD Active Member

i ask this: if van natta hadn't left the times and moved to espn? if espn hadn't turned him loose? how much of the ray rice/ravens story would have ever gotten out? so much of the media was/in in bed with the nfl -- just happy to be connected to the sure-bet moneymaker as their own industry craters -- that i have to think very little.

people asked questions and surely criticized the 2-game suspension. but who would've had the balls/resources to set loose a pitbull on the shield? that it was espn is the big sea-change surprise. they didn't have to do this. they could just count their money, broadcast their chortling panel of experts, and moved on. it's impressive on one hand, and depressing on the other.

and, no, i don't work for espn.

Draft saved Draft deleted